Testing my build

feedtheduck

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
After I finish my build, what types of testing should I do to make sure that everything is functioning properly? For instance, when shopping for RAM, some reviewers mentioned something called "memtest" make sure your RAM is working. Can you just list all the programs that I should use for testing my RAM, cpu, gpu, or just the entire computer in general?

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Well first boot it up if you didnt already! I would first start by getting an application to track temps in the computer, cant remember the name of mine off the top of my head. If you have installed quality ram in the right amounts, you should be okay

For temps you can use either Real Temp or Core Temp. The latter is my favorite.

HWMonitor can monitor almost everything hardware-related on your PC, including voltage, fan speed and whatnot.

MSI Afterburner can manage your GPU.

I'd run memtest to make sure all your RAM is error-free.

Prime95 if you're overclocking, or just concerned if your CPU can handle stress.

The best stress test is to play games and do intensive tasks however. Try playing the most demanding game you have.

feedtheduck

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

Would memtest be this one? http://www.memtest.org/

And 2 more questions:
1. Is there a test for the hard drive?
2. How can I test to make sure all my parts are working? Like none of the parts are DOA or anything?