Question Testing RAM with HCI Memtest - - - am I doing it correctly ?

May 1, 2023
before I ask the main question- yes I am aware almost everyone I see says to use Memtest86 and boot it up with a USB in the uefi bios or whatever (however it works exactly), but I just went with something simpler I could run on top of the OS, and I went with HCI Memtest, since I heard it was solid, although much slower

reading up on HCI Memtest, I saw that I needed to divide my available memory (23.1gb) by the amount of threads in my CPU (16), and that result would be what I needed to input into the Memtest, which came out as 1.44mb. I opened 16 instances of HCI Memtest for each thread and put 1.44 in each one, then started all the tests at once; I let it go for about 10 minutes, and every single test finished at around 6000-8000% coverage with 0 errors

I then decided to run all 16 instances again with a game open (which was Elden Ring), and I let all of the tests reach about 2500-3000% coverage, and they had 0 errors as well. the memtest puts my CPU at 100% usage, which was causing Elden Ring to freeze and lag heavily, so I couldn't actively play it, but the amount of RAM being used is pretty static regardless of what I'm doing in-game, so I just had it running in the background and occasionally tabbed in.

am I doing this correctly, and does this seem like my RAM is okay? (also, I imagine it's normal for my game to be freezing during the Memtest, given there were an entire 16 separate processes running and the CPU usage was upward of 100% for the entire duration. once I ended the tests, the game was no longer lagging or freezing)

before I ask the main question- yes I am aware almost everyone I see says to use Memtest86 and boot it up with a USB in the uefi bios or whatever (however it works exactly), but I just went with something simpler I could run on top of the OS, and I went with HCI Memtest, since I heard it was solid, although much slower

reading up on HCI Memtest, I saw that I needed to divide my available memory (23.1gb) by the amount of threads in my CPU (16), and that result would be what I needed to input into the Memtest, which came out as 1.44mb. I opened 16 instances of HCI Memtest for each thread and put 1.44 in each one, then started all the tests at once; I let it go for about 10 minutes, and every single test finished at around 6000-8000% coverage with 0 errors

I then decided to run all 16 instances again with a game open (which was Elden Ring), and I let all of the tests reach about 2500-3000% coverage, and they had 0 errors as well. the memtest puts my CPU at 100% usage, which was causing Elden Ring to freeze and lag heavily, so I couldn't actively play it, but the amount of RAM being used is pretty static regardless of what I'm doing in-game, so I just had it running in the background and occasionally tabbed in.

am I doing this correctly, and does this seem like my RAM is okay? (also, I imagine it's normal for my game to be freezing during the Memtest, given there were an entire 16 separate processes running and the CPU usage was upward of 100% for the entire duration. once I ended the tests, the game was no longer lagging or freezing)
Do not run Memtest and heavy game/program at same time, they would "collide" and try to use same memory at same time resulting in overload and errors.