Texas Instruments May Sell OMAP Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatureTM

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
TI is really a good semiconductor company, so it'd probably be a valuable purchase. But isn't ARM just a set of standards? I'd think a company like Intel or AMD wouldn't have much trouble designing an ARM CPU themselves. Might be a more valuable purchase for some other semiconductor company who's looking to get into the low-power CPU market. Then again, TI does rock at low-power, maybe Intel or that other company could glean some good power saving tech from their purchase.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If their processors are so good I'd really wish they would advance their graphing calculators and make them thinner or just more modern. Their new nSpire line are touchscreens but their basic TI-84s and 89s are still not much faster and just as bulky as the 82s and 83s while keeping the same price points of >$100.

G

[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]If their processors are so good I'd really wish they would advance their graphing calculators and make them thinner or just more modern. Their new nSpire line are touchscreens but their basic TI-84s and 89s are still not much faster and just as bulky as the 82s and 83s while keeping the same price points of >$100.[/citation]
As long as the schools keep requiring the older models they won't change the basic designs. They are very durable even thought slow and somewhat ugly. I've dropped my 83plus many times and its still working perfectly. The prices will remain high because every year a huge number of students are forced into the purchase.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
They actually don't really require them, it's just easier for teachers since it was what they were using when they were in school. Me, I was forced into the purchase, and only bought new because my parents didn't trust used calculators. Really wish there was competition in this market other than the cheap Casio's I've been seeing that never seem to do what i want them to do (and these are the scientific ones too).

daniel123244

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Eddieroolz[/nom]Apple will possibly be very interested in buying this.[/citation]
I don't think this is a very likely scenario as I don't believe Apple manufactures their own chips/products.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So yet another player seem to have understood the arm soc market is overcrouded and the good times are about over or otherwise they would have kept it! My bet is that most phone/pad/whatever gadget producer will license the basic cpu and then glue together whatever extensions they like like video encoding/decoding on their own chips and then have a third party like global foundry or tcms produce them. No reason to make wide area soc based platforms when you can make your own custom tailored one!

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
O a big lost, but I hate a litle bit Ti, they are a litle bit racist I will miis the beagle board, Omap one of the best ARM cpus. and incredible good development boards.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
It seems that Apple is trying to "emulate" the "Microsoft/Nokia" scenario and is out fishing for a fab.Hope TI managers are not that stupid!!!

G

Guys its just a rumour spread by rival companies of TI and do not spend time in writing blogs on who is the potential buyer.
TI road map is strong and they see strong growth in wireless.
They had invested 3-4 years in R&D of OMAP4/5 and now its time for TI to get revenues out of these chips/products.So no point they will even think of selling OMAP BU.

So sleep for now and Start spreading different rumours now.

NatureTM

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
@Always-Accurate (lol @ your name)

About their R&D investment, and how they would not even think about selling: wouldn't they always consider selling if they thought they'd make more money selling vs remaining in the market? Their R&D is a sunk cost. They should absolutely think about it if they care about serving their investors.

I will spend time writing on blogs about whatever I want.

marvolo

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
@NatureTM:
ARM allows production of its chips through licensed foundries. Some licenses allow the company to slightly modify the technology to suit the final purpose, since many ARM CPUs are designed for a certain use, such as a phone or a server. Most licenses, though, are only permitted to sell their final product using the exact design from ARM, and only then when used in another product. ARM does not allow companies to sell ARM chips alone. I guess you might be able to say it's a standard, but the way I understand it, it's much more closely guarded than that. Currently, neither Intel nor AMD are licensed by ARM, and Intel has its Atom line, which is in direct competition with ARM as a low-power CPU.
Also, as a side note, I agree with Anonymous. There are currently many sources that cite a TI spokesperson directly denying the rumors of a potential sale of the OMAP line.

Status
Not open for further replies.