Thankyou Valve

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Shawk wrote:

> I'll bite just a little anyway - I have the retail DVD of HL2 however my
> backup includes all patches and d-loads since Nov04 including the free MP
> game that was released afterwards. If needed (new hard-drive etc) I just
> copy the folder across and sign in. No reinstallation or patching
> required - suits me.

So what is the difference of this to any other non-Steam games, where you
have the original on CD/DVD and the patches downloaded from fileplanet or
any other site and burned to CD? Nothing I can see, except more burning to
do and additional signing in, which is only possible when Steam is up and
as long Valve is alive.

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:21:55 +0200, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) Spake Unto All:
>
>>>No dramas at all, just enter the CDkey into steam, a quick 7
>>>minute download and I'm taking a tram ride :)
>>
>>After registering etc, etc, of course.....
>>
>>For me just a 2 minute install from CD and 30 seconds to locate and
>>download the latest (pre-Steam) patch from my patch archives.
>
>The LEGAL copy takes a bit longer to install from CD than your rip,
>though.

Nope, you must have a real slow drive/PC/hard-disks...
I actually have 2 legal copies of HL1, plus all the (legal) HL
add-ons. Zero pirated games in my collection....

For the honest game-purchaser of single-player games, Steam
is an unnecessary burden. The only true rationale for Steam is
anti-piracy, regardless of the Valve smoke-screen; other equally
effective on-line update systems for SP games already exist
( for Blizzard games and NWN, for instance )

>>>Cheers Valve, now *thats* service
>>
>>For the self-crippled..........
>
>Seriously, what's wrong with you?

Nothing. I have several hundred CD/DVD-based
PC games in my collection - no scratches. Very important not to let
the cat use any CD as a scratching post.... :)

John Lewis

shawk

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Shawk wrote:
>
>> I'll bite just a little anyway - I have the retail DVD of HL2 however my
>> backup includes all patches and d-loads since Nov04 including the free MP
>> game that was released afterwards. If needed (new hard-drive etc) I just
>> copy the folder across and sign in. No reinstallation or patching
>> required - suits me.
>
> So what is the difference of this to any other non-Steam games, where you
> have the original on CD/DVD and the patches downloaded from fileplanet or
> any other site and burned to CD? Nothing I can see, except more burning to
> do and additional signing in, which is only possible when Steam is up and
> as long Valve is alive.

You are of course correct. I'll uninstall it immediately.

Quoth The Raven: Raymond Martineau <bk039@ncf.ca> in
tqmuh1tc4j7rtf7skmraunvflmaceojnig@4ax.com
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:02:50 +1000, "Highlandish"
> <ckreskay_CURSING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> why do you need to delete the ClientRegistry.blob file?
>
> There are rare cases where you need to delete the file (e.g. the
> absolute pathname for the main Steam directory changes.)
>
> You'll also need to cycle around ClientRegistry.blob whenever you
> want to do stuff involving multiple Windows accounts. Attempting to
> use the same Steam account in this case will force a logout -
> probably for security reasons.

i'll keep that in mind
--
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes
it permanent. (Robert H. Schuller)

Take out the _CURSING to reply to me

McGrandpa wrote:
> "KCB" <kcbaird@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message

>>>Try advancing your computer clock 1 year in off-line mode. Seems as if
>>>Valve has sneaked some sort of time-limit back in with one of their
>>>Steam "updates". Dangling on Valve's umbilical cord is such a
>>>wonderful single-play experience....
>>
>>It's not a time limit forced by Valve, the server can't validate you
>>simply because YOUR TIME STAMP IS SO FU*KED. Ever try to get Windows
>>Updates with your clock set a year ahead? OMG, it must mean that
>>Microsoft has sneaked some sort of time limit in with one of their Windows
>>"updates".
>>It DOES mean that, right John?
>>
>>>John Lewis
>>>- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
>>
> With someone who only wants the single player game, maybe doesn't have
> internet access (took machine to Moms house to use the cable to validate,
> lets say), they should never have to need their clock straight FOR any
> server.
> McG.

And since you're offline and playing offline whatever you do with your
time wont make one iota of difference. he's scare mongering again.

--
Walter Mitty
-

Thusly "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>>>For me just a 2 minute install from CD and 30 seconds to locate and
>>>download the latest (pre-Steam) patch from my patch archives.
>>
>> The LEGAL copy takes a bit longer to install from CD than your rip,
>> though.
>
>From what I understand him saying he did, it was legitimate. He had a cd
>that wouldn't work, used the key on Steam, and steam installed the game for
>him.

Oh, no, not him. I meant John Lewis and his "two-minute CD-install
without steam", quoted at the top.