Question That realization that "Yep, I actually did finally fall prey to FOMO..."

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I usually am quite good at this. I usually preach "Don't get it unless you're at the point where you'll need it" and "Wait for sales" and the like.

So, back early-mid last year, I thought I'd have more time for gaming. I have a 3840x1600 monitor, and my RX 580 8GB would struggle with it, not surprisingly. Still, prices were elevated, and I wasn't going to go for that.

At the time, the official MSRP of the RX 6700 XT was $479.99. In mid-May, I stumbled across a deal, the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, a premium card at the MSRP price. I hemmed and hawed a bit.

And then I bought it. A great deal at the time, mid-May 2022. But I didn't install it right away, as I figured that, if a better deal came along, I'd return it within the 30-day return window.

A better deal did not come along, so, alright, I should probably get to installing it.

I installed it... on January 28, 2023. It literally sat in the box unopened until then. If there was ever an indication that I didn't need to get that GPU at the time I did, this was certainly it.

To add to that evidence, according to my 2022 Steam Year End message, I spent the entire year playing only TWO games. 41% on Plants vs Zombies GOTY, and 59% on Don't Starve.

What's worse is that I know I spent an hour or less total on PvZ... just to show my girlfriend what it looks like. The time I spent on Don't Starve, doing the math, must therefore be an hour and a half or less, and that time was just to install it in a newly acquired budget-level laptop in December, just to set up controls and see if the laptop would play it smoothly.

Note to self: "Yeah, dude, that GPU purchase really could have waited!"

facepalm-deja-q.jpg

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not quite that bad myself and I installed it immediately, but I certainly don't do as much high end gaming as I used to.

I was running a GTX1080, and it was doing pretty well in what I played. Saw a chance to get a 3080Ti at MSRP ($1400) and took it. A year later, same card was like $800. Could have waited until then or the 40 series launch and gotten a 4080. At the time I justified it by having had the same GPU for over 5 years, and that it would be quite a while before I made another GPU purchase (that part at least is holding true, excepting the A380 I bought for fun)

On the positive side, it is the last retail generation from EVGA, so that will likely stay in my collection.

Silly FOMO purchase for me was a new car. Actually might not be that bad as prices are both rising for higher end products and falling as the EV companies battle for tax credits, but for the money I got a nice car.

Hmm, not sure where the rest of that sentence went.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V
as we get older a lot of us seem to be less involved with our own systems and junk.

still have a 6700XT sitting in the box from early 2022 that i'm planning on selling.
used it for a couple months and was just unimpressed with it's performance vs my old GTX 1080 Ti(which is also still sitting around in an 8700K based system i am/was also planning on selling).

have a spare bedroom with probably 5 grand worth of used components that i just haven't felt like posting on Facebook Marketplace or my Amazon storefront.
as time passes the monetary value continues to drop and the possibility of community interest also.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
as we get older a lot of us seem to be less involved with our own systems and junk.

still have a 6700XT sitting in the box from early 2022 that i'm planning on selling.
used it for a couple months and was just unimpressed with it's performance vs my old GTX 1080 Ti(which is also still sitting around in an 8700K based system i am/was also planning on selling).

have a spare bedroom with probably 5 grand worth of used components that i just haven't felt like posting on Facebook Marketplace or my Amazon storefront.
as time passes the monetary value continues to drop and the possibility of community interest also.
Not nearly that much stuff, but, uh, give me a minute to glance guiltily at the used hardware I've been meaning to sell... any day now... yep, I'll take pics, write ads, and post them...

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost