The AMD A8-3500M APU Review: Llano Is Unleashed

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well you're comparing a dual core processor to a quad core..... thats probably why amd won

I recently bought a hp g6 with a a4 3300m and it is very good for light gaming. I can say that the cpu side of these new apu-s is far too weak given the bang these gpu makes. As for crysis it is more playable for me than dirt thanks to the low pixel fill rates. As for the a6 the cpu is clocked way to low and is why many struggle or lose to intel in many tests. AMD cpus need to be clocked well over 2ghz on all cores to really be able to support the integrated gpu this time around. As for power management it is wonderful.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I recently bought a hp g6 with a a4 3300m and it is very good for light gaming. I can say that the cpu side of these new apu-s is far too weak given the bang these gpu makes.[/citation]

On the A4 you've got maybe, but those are dual core. the A6 and A8 are quad-core, and will do a much better job.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I feel really bad for AMD. They used to make good products and now they are making products that will fail in an attempt to stay afloat. Remember what happened to netbooks? right, a few people bought them then poof they dissappeared. Why? they weren't powerful enough. On the processor side, intel is beating with a club and taking their lunch money, and on the graphics side It's taking dual GPU's to take on nvidia single GPU cards that are made on bigger nanometer dies. Once nvidia shrinks those down, they will be in very much danger. I have a funny feeling that they could be out of business in a few years. This isn't the right angle to take. ARM processors have this segment, and now that nvidia makes ARM processors too they're really screwed.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
why they make apu's with x86 arch, if there is any apu with x64 arch,and i used latest a8-3850 apu, it is good in gaming but worst in windows apps especially in Adobe premier

Milhaus

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
The i5-2520M laptops are reliable $400-$600 more than the A8-3500M units.
I would much rather spend $700 on a 17.3" A8-3500M and spend a chunk of the savings on an SSD, that way you get most of the gaming performance, and all of the application/desktop performance back plus save money.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Milhaus[/nom]I would much rather spend $700 on a 17.3" A8-3500M and spend a chunk of the savings on an SSD, that way you get most of the gaming performance, and all of the application/desktop performance back plus save money.[/citation]

Well, not a lot of apps will run faster with an SSD, but everything should launch a lot faster and feel snappier.

triny

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
One day they will roll out the excavator APU with a 8860 igp
foundations will crumble under it's weight, for now mere baubles.

G

Has any one had problems with their screen being set super low mine is supposed to be at 1920 1080 but now its like 600 400 i think. I have all the drivers installed don't know what happened its sure pissing me off tho. Even updated it and tossed in a mr green video card

Status
Not open for further replies.