The AMD Radeon HD 6990 Dual GPU Card is Huge

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
bigger is better right?. reminds me of the daughter boards and 90's video cards length wise.
on the bright side you put this in the first 16x PCIe slot and can vent it out the front of the case bad thing is it will mean putting in another fan above your front panel intake and for those of you who can't will either have to get a new case or break out your modding skills and put in a side panel fan close to the end of the card.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I honestly doubt Nvidia will make a dual GPU card with Fermi. Too much power consumption even with GF110. It is possible to make a dual card, but it should be noticeably faster than 580 which will require a lot of power for a single PCIe 16x slot. Maybe with Kepler.

EDIT. I see there is a leak that it may be true after all. However, considering that the GPUs will be significantly down clocked, it may not be that much faster. AMD may not have to down clock that much due to lower power consumption.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]pudgychicken[/nom]Well now it's AMD's turn to have a GTX 480 experience lol. It'll perform moderately well, be hot as balls, and sound like a jet engine under full load.[/citation]Wanna bet on that?

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]thats what you get when your with 40nm. better switch to 28nm with globalfoundries by Q3 2011[/citation]
They wanted to be on a smaller process by now, but TSMC has been hitting problem after problem. So yeah, they might have to have GF fab some of their GPUs in the near future. TSMC can't be counted on, first they had major yield issues with their 40nm node (it hit Nvidia hard too) and now the issues with rolling out a new node on schedule.

i_am_aronman

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
[citation][nom]pudgychicken[/nom]Well now it's AMD's turn to have a GTX 480 experience lol. It'll perform moderately well, be hot as balls, and sound like a jet engine under full load.[/citation]
Don't jump to conclusions it might run better than you think, but we won't really know until benchmarks. Come on AMD hurry up!

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]Its Huge Buffalo HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE (anyone from western NY will hate me for this)an a more serious note, i don't care if the card is huge, i have a decent case (as will most people here who buy this card) and will get to show it off "hey, look at the GPU brick in my case"[/citation]

There are very good cases that don't allow boards that long. Hell, I have a Lian-Li and the GTX 570 was a squeeze. I think we need a form factor change for graphics cards. There's not enough room to cool them anymore.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
DROOL ..... seriously if i could get one of these i'd move my hard drive cage to the bottom of my pc to make it fit (i have a case that has a detachable hard drinve cage) but damnnn teh cost ... i might do better jsut to upgrade my pc

Interesting is that CPUs get smaller as time goes by (a Intel 2600K is smaller than a Core i7 920 but has more transistors) but GPUs just keep growing....

I remember when the GPUs were only a bit longer than than the AGP slot.

tychoblu

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
cue 2001 theme music

set stage: 10 geek monkeys beating last month's video cards against the ground

change scene, blazing saddles: "excuse me while i whip this out"

reyshan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
[citation][nom]pudgychicken[/nom]Well now it's AMD's turn to have a GTX 480 experience lol. It'll perform moderately well, be hot as balls, and sound like a jet engine under full load.[/citation]

I don't think it will be hot as balls. It has a vapor chamber which does better than a heatsink with some copper heatpipes. Two 6950 or 6970 will perform more than moderately.

G

And again i find myself loving the Full Tower Case. I've not yet found a card that won't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.