News The Arch Linux team is now working directly with Valve — SteamOS and Arch should both benefit greatly

Nov 3, 2023
I’m glad Valve is serious about Linux, for a while I was not sure since Gabe is a Microsoft alumni.

The state of gaming in Linux is really good if you don’t play games that use DRM (multiplayer online games and certain single player ones).

Valve's pivot to Linux support has been a longtime thing! It's just matured more noticeably since Steam Deck and SteamOS 3, but the original SteamOS launch was in response to Windows 8 and its introduction of UWP, which Gabe feared would be the future of all PC game distribution if Microsoft had their way.

Reactions: King_V and coolitic

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I’m glad Valve is serious about Linux, for a while I was not sure since Gabe is a Microsoft alumni.

The state of gaming in Linux is really good if you don’t play games that use DRM (multiplayer online games and certain single player ones).
He knows the enemy.

As for the DRM, isn't Windows recently making some security change that would prevent those schemes from working? If I find out what it was, I'll report back.

This seems like a relatively affordable way for Valve to set the groundwork for a potential wider release of SteamOS. While I don't particularly have any interest in giving up Windows for my primary machine due to the varied workloads and my laziness I'd love for SteamOS to be a simple viable alternative. It's something I'd absolutely use on secondary machines that don't really get used outside of basic tasks and gaming.