The audio service is not running

nalex

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Hi all,

Just wondering if someone might be able to help me. I'm having troubles with my windows audio service. It seems to be crashing everytime I click on it after I start the service.

I have recently done a fresh install of windows so it might be that I'm missing a certain driver or something but I can't figure it out.

Any tips or tricks welcome.

Your help in advance is appreciated!

Solution
Regarding the "The Audio service is not running" issue, please first try start the Windows Audio service by the steps below:

Solution taken from another website.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/56d0bf26-d5a7-42fd-9b95-d6ba89c53f6e/the-audio-service-is-not-running?forum=w7itproperf
1. Click the Start Button, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search Bar and press Enter to start Services.
2. In the right pane, please check whether the Windows Audio service is started.
3. If not, please double click the service. In the tab "General ", make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start this service.

nalex

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Hi Unreal, thanks for your reply.

I've got a few things:

Corsair VOID RGB Wireless Gaming Headset
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
VIA HD Audio

Thanks!

nalex

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Sorry - had a manic couple of days! When you say it should be VIA HD Audio, what do you mean exactly? This should be the problem?

I will check the driver version later once I'm home from work.

Once again I appreciate your response.

nalex

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I downloaded the sound drivers from my motherboards manufacturers website and installed those, but still to no avail. It keeps coming back, when I click on it or change the volume via the buttons on my keyboard it turns straight back off.

unreal9400

Distinguished
Regarding the "The Audio service is not running" issue, please first try start the Windows Audio service by the steps below:

Solution taken from another website.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/56d0bf26-d5a7-42fd-9b95-d6ba89c53f6e/the-audio-service-is-not-running?forum=w7itproperf
1. Click the Start Button, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search Bar and press Enter to start Services.
2. In the right pane, please check whether the Windows Audio service is started.
3. If not, please double click the service. In the tab "General ", make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start this service.

Solution