The Best GPUs For Ethereum Mining, Tested and Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
We should be reporting that the worst cards for mining are high end graphics cards . . . .maybe then demand will drop and prices come back to earth. . . . . . I've seen GTX970's selling used for more than I paid new a few years ago . . . .something is wrong

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Any article about cryptocurrency, that helps miners further, is against gamers since it promotes cryptocurrency and affects prices go higher and drop availability of GPUs.

As a gamer, I do not like that.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
These articles are a disservice to the gamer community.

On the other hand, it's their business to speak about hardware in every area, not just games.

As sad as it makes us, that's just Tom's doing their job. We shouldn't pick on them, we should pick on miners and maybe manufacturers (who don't make specialized hardware and let gaming cards take the price hit).

yoncenmild

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Gamers complaining about crypto mining need to reevaluate their perspective. You can either complain that the situation is unfair and demand that someone else do something about it. Or you can accept the situation as reality and figure out a way to use it to your advantage.

I've never been able to justify spending too much on the GPU for my personal rig. I only play an hour or so a week and mostly older RTS games.

I've been able to upgrade my GPU for free several times just by mining crypto overnight. I went from a R9 290x to a RX580 4GB to dual 580 8GB for free. I purchased the 290X used for $213 before the mining craze really took off so I basically got my 580s for $111.5 each and I'll be upgrading to a pair of Vega 64s before the end of the year.

Buy an "overpriced" GPU mine with it overnight and it will eventually pay for itself. Or just complain about how unfair it is, your choice.

theyeti87

Honorable

Not everyone is in your situation, though. To say "I only play 1 hour of RTS so I don't need a fancy GPU" is your personal perspective. "Mine overnight, things will pay for itself" - seriously doubt your claims here.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The prices are nonsense, but that's what you get for linking to a specific product, instead of taking some average selling price.

Newegg has 4 GB RX 570 from $240 (after MIR), 8 GB RX 580 from $330, and Vega 56 from $575 (after MIR).

poppajoe512

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2015
great the graphic card prices are finally getting close to normal and you stir the bit coin guys up again with this stupid review thanks a lot !!!!

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...please stop encouraging this. Like others have mentioned it is a disservice to us enthusiasts who enjoy games and/or are involved with 3D CG rendering.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008

Radeon RX 580 had its core voltage pulled back 200mV, its power limit pulled back -15%, its core clock set at 1101 MHz, memory at 2250 MHz.

Vega 64 had its core voltage dialed by -200mV, power limit pulled back -25%, core clock set at 852 MHz, and memory at 1150 MHz.

chris.ridpath

Reputable
Jan 16, 2018
Pull this garbage down. No one that reads your website should be in support of this. It only hurts gamers. We want prices to come back down.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Don't hate. It is those large scale farms that are to blame for the shortage and high prices.

On the article, it wasn't bad at all with updated information. I guess, someone from the team is mining.

I have to disagree with the GTX 1060 though, it is weak with mining unless you get a good price for it which it is currently is. If you don't need more powerful graphics, the 1060 is the best to get for gaming.

I recently bought an expensive Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 but found that it just draws power as much as an RX 580 while mining Ethereum if you bring down the GPU clock as low as possible. However, I can't bring down the HBM2 voltage. There are some users claiming they can bring this down and get more than 1000 MHz frequency.

Jun 3, 2018
“Radeon RX 580 had its core voltage pulled back 200mV, its power limit pulled back -15%, its core clock set at 1101 MHz, memory at 2250 MHz.

Vega 64 had its core voltage dialed by -200mV, power limit pulled back -25%, core clock set at 852 MHz, and memory at 1150 MHz.“

Would you mind providing the optimized voltage, clock speed, and memory speed settings for the RX 570? Also, how many watts does the RX 570 consume when configured according to the optimized settings?

Jun 11, 2018
People hating on people mining with GPU's are missing out on money and how blockchain technology is the next internet. If you have a high end GPU why not make extra $$$ when the GPU you already own is idle 90% of the time? I've made so much money mining on my Gaming GTX 1080 that it paid for itself and now I'm mining with 6 GTX 1080 ti's and they all are 100% paid off in full in under 2 months. The quickest way to "test" earnings potential is to do a test run at nicehash and get paid in Bitcoin.

The bigger picture is that just about everything on the Internet will be done using Blockchain technology and miners will help validate it all. Just about every song, movie, video, online banking and even video games will soon be part of the blockchain. This technology is here to stay. It would probably be smarter to study it and learn how to benefit from it. Nvidia and other GPU manufactures will catch up with demand very quickly with expanded manufacturing facilities. Because of the massive increase in GPU's being sold the price will drop below what they would have been without mining. Also, because of all the extra money spent, more money is being spent in the performance race. In the end we will have much faster GPU and at a lower price. If you're smart you'll learn how to mine and the mining will pay for your GPU and have extra $$$ in your pocket.

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013

You assume too much trying to prove that mining is one way to go. Nobody likes miners except Power providers and GPU and AIB manufacturers. Not to mention the environmental disaster cryptocurrency mining does. Minus 1 from me. Next time be more careful.

Jun 11, 2018

Mymididonas, You assume too much trying to prove that mining is not the way to go. Nobody likes pathetic geeky gamers except Power providers, GPU and AIB manufacturers. Not to mention the environmental disaster high end gaming rigs do. Minus 1 from me. Next time be more careful. ROLF

Status
Not open for further replies.