The Best Video Cards for Your Money: November 2006

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jcm2128

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks for the Best Buy tip. I saw the x1950 advertised in the flyer, but the 7900GS must have been listed online only. I went my local store and grabbed one. I was even able to join the rewards zone and use two coupons I received in the mail (12% off and double points). In summary, I paid $131.99 plus tax (and earned a $5 gift card too). The coupons said only good for regular priced items, but they worked on this card. Not a bad deal.

I thought about the x1950, but the 7900gs should hold me over until the DX10 cards are reasonable. I don't have time to play Oblivion anyway :)

For those looking for the x1950 Pro, I found it at this website for $171.85 (no rebate necessary).

http://www.ebuyx.com/i180206878.html

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Actually, it does a good job at Oblivion. Okay, it doesn't beat a similarly-priced ATI card for that game but I was averaging 25-35 fps on 1024x768 HDR at decently high settings outdoors. Not super, but it's playable and I've been having a blast with the game. Indoors was no problem.

And yep. I was thinking of DirectX 10's coming when getting this card as well.

I ordered mine from BestBuy because the local one didn't have it. Plus, the newegg one DOES look better, but I hate doing mail-in rebates.

jcm2128

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks. Good to hear I can run Oblivion on the 7900GS since I just picked up that card tonight. Maybe I'll have time for that game at some point next year (I do enjoy role-playing games).

Overall, a 7900GS for less than $150 hits the spot. Having no rebates is key. I receive rebate checks about 50% of the time (once it took over 6 months). Sometimes I think they're a scam. I usually factor in only half of the rebate amount as a discount when making a purchase.

Thanks for the notice on the Best Buy sale. It made my decision easier (I had been looking constantly on-line for a few weeks). I think Best Buy is confused. Their site listed the PNY 7600GS (same brand, worse card even though it was the 512MB version) for the same exact retail amount (i.e. $199.99). That makes no sense! Circurt City had the PNY 7900GS card listed at $229.99 and they're usually equal in price to Best Buy.

PapIacoz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Let´s face it.

If you have a good AGP MoBo and processor, you need only to upgrade in the video cards.

If you have already in your system Gainward 7800GS+ 24PP AGP, you don't need to upgrade any video cards (at least til NV8600).

Windows Vista, Blue-Ray drive, DX10, PCI EX 16X, DDR2 and etc. you won't need them until 2010. Let them mature first. :D PapIacoz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ABIT IC7-max 3
P4 EE 3.2GHz/ThermalTake Big Typhoon
Corsair 2GB twinx DDR 550
Gainward 7800GS+ Golden Sample AGP (24PP)
WD Raptor 2x150G RAID 0
Creative X-Fi Fat@l1ty
Lian-Li 6070B Black
SeaSonic 700W

JEEZ how many times are you going to cut/paste this same post to beat your chest about your GF7800GS?

As a best buy for the money the GF7800GS has never been a good buy, and the only place it's close is the 16pp version for $160 on NewEgg. You card isn't even a consideration since it's so overpriced.

Better off with a GF8800GTS and new mobo than the GF7800GS 24PP which isn't even available from major retailers anymore so it's pretty much an e-bay buy now.

As for you comments on BluRay, DDR2 and PEG slots, like I said in the other thread, you're overstating the facts to make yourself feel better. All of those are useable right now, the only one that's questionable is Vista, even DX10 will be put to good use by 2008.

PapIacoz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Sorry guys!

I only said that, because if we have a solid system, that plays everything in the real world, we don't need to upgrade to all the new stuffs.

In the real world, what is the difference between: - AGP 8x and PCI-E 16X?
- DDR 550 and DDR2?
- WXP and VISTA?
Is there any game unplayable in our system? :eek:
Can't we wait a drop price in blue-ray drive? At least at the same price of today's DVD drives? :(
We work very hard every day to build our systems. Don't waste them easy. :wink:
Long live to our system! :D
P.S.: I made a terrible mistake to put a new post on this subject. The right place to put it is here, not there. I apologise. :cry:
PapIacoz

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
There is nothing wrong with an older system, but saying that you won't need anything new until 2010 is a bit much. You can get away with an older video card for a long time (even a 9800XT is still viable today) and be able to play most games (albiet at the lowest settings), but eventually you will need to upgrade and most people aren't satisfied with the lowest settings in a game.

Please just think before you post. Exaggeration is a crime most of us are guilty of from time to time, but you are just spouting bullshi*t.

BTW, the best AGP card to get at the moment is the 1950pro as it has way more value that the 7800GS.