The best way to clean a Laptop screeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Seriously, warm water and a damp soft cloth in slow, circular and somewhat firm motions.

I bought special cleaning rags for my screens, they left streaks and everything.

Used just warm water and bam, it was like new. Don't buy into any cleaning solutions, laptop screens and HD TV flat screens just need warm water.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
Seriously, warm water and a damp soft cloth in slow, circular and somewhat firm motions.

I bought special cleaning rags for my screens, they left streaks and everything.

Used just warm water and bam, it was like new. Don't buy into any cleaning solutions, laptop screens and HD TV flat screens just need warm water.

Solution

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

Rubbing alcohol is not advised as this is an abrasive chemical that can damage a screen over time. I highly discourage use of this on screens. For spots and stains, warm water does just fine.

Example, I once accidentally sprayed soda all over my HDTV. The surface of an HDTV screen is similar to a laptop, I didn't get around to cleaning it for a week. I eventually cleaned it with just warm water and a soft cloth. The screen was crystal clear like the day I bought it.

Water is enough. Don't be afraid to use a little pressure while wiping away stains, and make sure the water isn't TOO hot.

Seriously? rubbing alcohol is none abrasive and it's what's usually suggested google it and see. Rubbing alcohol is denatured ethanol (or vegetable alcohol)... made from sugar cane, corn, etc... so it's not abrasive like oil based chemicals. I have even used amonia based window cleaner without harming the monitor... I won't recommend it though.

Isopropyl (rubbing) Alcohol is one of the most common substances used to clean monitors
http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Computer-Monitor/LCD-Screen

Edit: rubbing alcohol should obviously be diluted 50/50 in water. And besides it should be used only occasionally. And whatever is used: diluted vinegar, diluted rubbing alcohol, etc. should not be used frequently... a cover should be used to keep it clean as long as possible.

kelix09

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
I use Windex,or some achol base window cleaner.Grab a few paer towels.Fold the in 1/2 and fold in 1/2 again.Spray the paper towels lightly withthe windex or non achol window cleaner.Than wipe,the pc screen ,key bord keys exx.
Achol is quick drying.One should never use water on compuuter monitors,on computers,or any type of eletrictronics.Thiss a NO,No.

Retrowire

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013

First, one of the main ingredients of Windex is.... Water.

Second, did you know that many electronics companies wash circuit boards and motherboards with massive amounts of water? In giant washing machines intended for the purpose?

Water is not an electronics killer. Water+Electricity is.

Status
Not open for further replies.