Question The Black Screen Boot with a twist

Feb 2, 2020
Hi internet! Please help me out.

I have an interesting black screen boot that must surely have a solution, and after scouring the internet I haven't found a single post that is the same as mine.

Problem: If I boot my PC I get the black screen. I am booting to an SSD which is one of three drives. A hard restart into safe mode to get to BIOS is needed and then here the fishy bit comes in. If I got to boot manager and select the option (Boot Manager) SATA 2 120GB SSD - the PC boots fine. However, if I choose the option SATA 2 120GB SSD it does a funny screen with white blips all over the place and then... black screen.

Are these two options not the same?
Does it have something to do with the Fast Boot/Normal Boot options in BIOS?
Does it have something to do with UEFI vs Legacy Boot options?
I cannot do a shutdown or restart from windows - which means my updates are not being applied.

I have tried:

Common practices like rebuilding the PC from scratch - can't be a hardware issue as the workaround I have means I still use the machine as normal.
CMOS wipe and a default BIOS settings restart.

Hardware:

ASUS PRIME Z270P
i5 7500
8GB RAM 3200Hz
GTX 1060 6G
WD 120GB SSD (OS Installed here)
ADATA 256GB SSD
WD 2TB HDD

Thanks!!!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Also, which version of Windows 10 are you working with? If you're working with Windows 10, you should have Windows Boot Manager as the primary boot device.

Feb 2, 2020
Hi there!

So I have windows 10 professional. I went to Asus and I think there are updates that I can apply, but some are just zip files with .CAP files inside. No idea what to do with that. How do I check versions of things like chipset and Bios Utilities etc? Am also about to go to BIOS and have a look that the default boot option is in fact windows boot manager. Else yeah all that stuff is in order

*edit So I check all of those things... no resolution. I have to choose boot manager from the BIOS and then it boots fine after that. Boot priority is set to windows manager so I don't understand why it does that. There is also no explanation as to why it does this when coming out of sleep mode - and only on occasion, not every time.

Last edited: