The BladeKor V21 Plex Media Server / Gaming Rig Build

cjones636

Commendable
May 31, 2016
This thread was created to log this new build. Not all components have been purchased yet. Components listed below in bold have already been purchased.

• Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
    Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Kingston H?yperX Fury? Black 32G?B (4 x 8GB?) DDR4-213?3 Memory
    3x Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    3x Seagate NAS HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card
    ARCTIC MX4 4g Thermal Paste
    1x 200mm BitFenix Spectre Pro Fan (white led)
    4x 120SP Corsair Fans (white led)
    1x 140AF Corsair Fan (white led)
    EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Thermaltake Core V21 WINDOWED side panel
    Thumbscrews Anodized Aluminum (Set of 10) - Green

I'm still not sure if i'm water cooling or air cooling.

Painted some parts on the case yesterday. The Color is a custom mix, and is between a lime and key-lime. I know in the images they kind of look yellow, but its not.

20160602_205914.jpg

20160602_205832.jpg

20160602_205914.jpg

eaff6b5c_42e0_4a17_bca2_941f7d9b52f2.jpg

Solution

If you're not overclocking there's no point in buying a 6700K. The i7-6700 (non-K) will be perfectly acceptable for your uses.

This PC will serve as a multiple purpose machine. It's not strictly a gaming rig. it will also be a Plex Media Server. Plex is i HUGE part of my family's entertainment. Currently only 2 people at a time can connect to plex. If a 3rd person connects, the quality and lag makes it impossible to watch. When i'm on the road and connect to plex, and my mother and brother...

VR PC-BUILD

Respectable
May 14, 2016
What is your budget and the parts you listed and ordered are bit unstable. The motherboard you ordered do not support Over Clocking so there is no point in getting i7-6700K and going for air or water cooling. If you want to over clock send back the B150 and get Z170. And I don't get why go for GTX970 4GB where as you could get GTX1070 for a bit high price. If possible I would recommend you to send back GTX970 and get GTX1070.

Please provide your budget

g-unit1111

Titan
You don't want to pair an i7-6700K with a B150 because you forfeit the i7-6700K's overclocking abilities. You will need to get at least a Z170 motherboard for that. 32GB is a waste of money for a gaming rig, you really don't need more than 16GB, put that back in your graphics card.

VR PC-BUILD

Respectable
May 14, 2016

He already purchased them I think he should return them and go for better components.

g-unit1111

Titan

And I quote:

Not all components have been purchased yet.

Without knowing what components have or have not been purchased it will be hard to give advice on what to buy and what to return.

cjones636

Commendable
May 31, 2016
There is no need to for me to overclock at this time, but in the future, i may when i start upgrading within a year. The 6700k was chosen based on what i may do in the future, but i'm still not sure if i'm buying the 6700k yet or not. Also, the Z170 is a Full ATX motherboad if i remember correctly from my prior research. The Case i have chosen supports Mini-ITX and Micro-ATX

This PC will serve as a multiple purpose machine. It's not strictly a gaming rig. it will also be a Plex Media Server. Plex is i HUGE part of my family's entertainment. Currently only 2 people at a time can connect to plex. If a 3rd person connects, the quality and lag makes it impossible to watch. When i'm on the road and connect to plex, and my mother and brother are connected to plex, my only options from there are hulu and netflix

I'm also a heavy user of Sony Vegas, Photoshop and illustrator.

The parts in bold above, those are the parts i have purchased.

I have no budget, but i'm trying to keep it under $1600

I'm also 80% sure that i'm going to water cool. The reason for this is because the room of the house the PC will be in stays hot in the summer months. With Central AC, and even a window ac unit i will be sweating bullets while working or playing a game, and on some days, i've had to take both side panels off this current PC to get it to cool down (it gets that hot in here) when under heavy load.

The Graphics card was chosen by my brother. He threw down some money on it because he connects to plex frequently. I may buy another one before the build is completed.

g-unit1111

Titan

If you're not overclocking there's no point in buying a 6700K. The i7-6700 (non-K) will be perfectly acceptable for your uses.

This PC will serve as a multiple purpose machine. It's not strictly a gaming rig. it will also be a Plex Media Server. Plex is i HUGE part of my family's entertainment. Currently only 2 people at a time can connect to plex. If a 3rd person connects, the quality and lag makes it impossible to watch. When i'm on the road and connect to plex, and my mother and brother are connected to plex, my only options from there are hulu and netflix

OK that's fine that CPU should be able to handle streaming no problems.

I'm also a heavy user of Sony Vegas, Photoshop and illustrator.

Video editing is one area where you would actually benefit from having an unlocked CPU. As well as extra cores. In fact you might want to take a look at the i7-5820K and then return that motherboard.

I'm also 80% sure that i'm going to water cool. The reason for this is because the room of the house the PC will be in stays extremely hot in the summer months. With Central AC, and even a window ac unit i will be sweating bullets while working or playing a game, and on some days, i've had to take both side panels off this current PC to get it to cool down (it gets that hot in here).

That I don't think is really going to help all that much. I mean I live in Southern California and it can get over 100 in the summer and when I run my PC, I have all fans turned up high. But don't bother with a closed liquid loop unless you're going for something like the Cryorig A80. A strong dual tower air fan will perform just as well or even better than the best CLL.

The Graphics card was chosen by my brother. He threw down some money on it because he connects to plex frequently. I may buy another one before the build is completed.

I would suggest not opening that and actually even returning it because the GTX 1070 should be out any day now and it will provide a huge performance boost, especially if you plan to stream.

Solution