The Brazos Round-Up: Eight AMD E-350-Based Motherboards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_Bear

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Some of you are really bad at reading AMD's simple Desktop roadmaps.

(1) Performance/Enthusiast end...

2011 => FX-series (Zambezi) => 1st gen Bulldozer (Introduction.)
2012 => Komodo => 2nd gen Bulldozer (Refinement of 1st gen. => "Enhanced")
2013 => ??? => 3rd gen Bulldozer (Major changes. => "Next-Generation")

(2) Mainstream market

2011 => A-series (Llano) => K10.5-based with modifications. Up to 4-cores.
2012 => Trinity => 2nd gen Bulldozer (refinement of 1st gen). Up to 4-cores.

(3) Low-power (Nettop/Low-power/Small-Form-Factor)

2011 => E-series (Zacate) => Bobcat in 40nm
2012 => Krishna => Enhanced-Bobcat in 28nm

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
That's because AMD's "simple desktop roadmaps" are in the wild along with conflicting AMD documentation. Anyway, nothing of what I've posted is incorrect. :p

pyrrocc

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Thomas,

I'm somewhat disappointed given the form-factor and power envelope of the boards reviewed here that there were no media consumption tests performed while monitoring temperature, power, and noise. I understand that not all of the boards were designed with HTPC applications in mind (Jetway), but certainly HTPCs would be a significant portion of the interest in these boards.

-Pyrroc

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]pyrrocc[/nom]Thomas,I'm somewhat disappointed given the form-factor and power envelope of the boards reviewed here that there were no media consumption tests performed while monitoring temperature, power, and noise. I understand that not all of the boards were designed with HTPC applications in mind (Jetway), but certainly HTPCs would be a significant portion of the interest in these boards.-Pyrroc[/citation]Given that they all use the same APU, I refer to the original APU review by Chris Angelini and only look for "performance problems" in benchmarks. The real point of the roundup was to see what kind of features and cooling you could get for your money.

G

I'd like to see more FANLESS motherboards. Those 40mm cooling fans are annoyingly loud.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]penguin386[/nom]I'd like to see more FANLESS motherboards. Those 40mm cooling fans are annoyingly loud.[/citation]Given the heat output and some of the cases that people are putting these in, I'd like to see some 92mm slim fans running at like 600 RPM.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
seems to me they range from $110 to $175 - what do u get for $65 now - imagine the cost & hassle of dicovering u need a port etc u didnt anticipate

extra $ on a top mobo is the best $ u ever spent

tp me - the asus deluxe seems to win

passive cpu & psu cooling would be a must for me - maybe both - a big slow fan too

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
it may sound dumb, but may also help some

the only power consumption figure that matters is the idle for a 24/7 PC. if its busy doing work - who cares - just do what u gotta do - but if its sitting on its ass & chewing juice - thats relevant - cos thats most of the time mostly - we all gotta sleep etc.

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Four minutes to compress a nearly CD-sized folder brings found memories of Pentium 4s. It’s fortunate for AMD, then, that these systems use around 1/6th the power of those long-forgotten relics. Efficiency is this platform’s raison d'être.

It's 2013 and I'm contradicting you from one of those long-forgotten Pentium 4 relics. ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.