News The Cheapest Cyber Monday GPU is Only $59, But It's Seven Years Old

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2GB: Was $89, now $59

The "deal" is for a 730, not a 1030

Behold! The amazing GeForce GT 730, now priced at just $59 after a $10 instant discount. This isn't just any old GT 730 either; it's the model with 2GB of DDR3 memory — as opposed to the slightly more desirable GDDR5 variant. We haven't tested a GT 730 in quite some time, though we did test both the DDR3 and GDDR5 variants of the newer GT 1030 earlier this year when we looked at Intel's Xe DG1. Short summary: The DDR3 version was about half as fast as the GDDR5 model.
Is this a performance comparison between 730 and 1030, or just another typo/confusion in the XX30 GPU naming?

Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2GB: Was $89, now $59

The "deal" is for a 730, not a 1030

Is this a performance comparison between 730 and 1030, or just another typo/confusion in the XX30 GPU naming?
Sorry, put the wrong name in the deal block. It is comparing GT 730 with 1030, and noting that as slow as the 1030 is, the 730 is even slower. Happy days! Who doesn't want a Kepler GPU (now discontinued driver support) that might barely beat Intel's UHD 770? :D

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
As for the "equally bad" 750ti deal, I agree in terms of price: $152 is more than I paid for one brand new back when it was a current model. As for performance, the 750ti is still in support (being a Pascal chip), and is still quite adequate for my use (no recent FPS or anything like that). It's very happy after I built a new computer for it about a year ago with PCIe 3 (couldn't afford a new GPU at the time, and still can't, and I'm glad I did the computer then because prices for the base system and RAM have gone crazy since then too). Though with the new system the GPU is now becoming the bottleneck for running Open Rails - though it has no problem keeping up with a 60 Hz Samsung display.

As for the "equally bad" 750ti deal, I agree in terms of price: $152 is more than I paid for one brand new back when it was a current model. As for performance, the 750ti is still in support (being a Pascal chip), and is still quite adequate for my use (no recent FPS or anything like that). It's very happy after I built a new computer for it about a year ago with PCIe 3 (couldn't afford a new GPU at the time, and still can't, and I'm glad I did the computer then because prices for the base system and RAM have gone crazy since then too). Though with the new system the GPU is now becoming the bottleneck for running Open Rails - though it has no problem keeping up with a 60 Hz Samsung display.
Technically GTX 750 Ti was Maxell 100-series, one of only two GPUs (GM107 and GM108) before Nvidia shifted to the improved GM200 series of Maxell. It's about double the performance of the GT 730, perhaps even more because it's not DDR3 memory, but it's quite slow by today's standards. GTX 1050 is around 50% faster, give or take, thanks to higher clocks and a newer architecture, and that's still a relatively slow GPU by modern standards. The kicker is the price, though. Same cost as you paid seven years ago, for the same performance. Normally, that GPU wouldn't be worth more than maybe $40.

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
Technically GTX 750 Ti was Maxell 100-series, one of only two GPUs (GM107 and GM108) before Nvidia shifted to the improved GM200 series of Maxell. It's about double the performance of the GT 730, perhaps even more because it's not DDR3 memory, but it's quite slow by today's standards. GTX 1050 is around 50% faster, give or take, thanks to higher clocks and a newer architecture, and that's still a relatively slow GPU by modern standards. The kicker is the price, though. Same cost as you paid seven years ago, for the same performance. Normally, that GPU wouldn't be worth more than maybe $40.
Mea culpa. You're right - Maxwell. Probably will lose support in 2022. Still - what's a 1050 or 1650 (ideally, powered entirely from the PCIe bus) going for now? I'll live with the old one until Windows starts complaining about driver support or the prices drop a bit. Paying as much (or even half as much) for the GPU as for the rest of the system just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU
Mea culpa. You're right - Maxwell. Probably will lose support in 2022. Still - what's a 1050 or 1650 (ideally, powered entirely from the PCIe bus) going for now? I'll live with the old one until Windows starts complaining about driver support or the prices drop a bit. Paying as much (or even half as much) for the GPU as for the rest of the system just doesn't make sense.
On eBay (used), the GTX 1050 tends to go for about $150, so there's no reason to buy a 750 Ti over it. The GTX 1050 Ti (because it has double the VRAM) averages around $225, while the GTX 1650 goes for an eye-watering $307. And the GTX 1650 Super, which nominally had a launch price just $10 higher than the vanilla 1650, averages $330 — not a huge jump, considering it's a solid 35% faster than the regular 1650.

To recap, then:
GTX 1650 Super is 35% faster and costs 7.5% more than...
GTX 1650, which is 30% faster and costs 36% more than...
GTX 1050 Ti, which is 32% faster and costs 50% more than...
GTX 1050, which is ~50% faster and costs the same as...
GTX 750 Ti, which is probably double the price and performance of...
GT 730.

GTX 1650 Super ends up about 133% faster and 120% more expensive than the GTX 1050. Bleh. And all of these prices suck.

TRENDING THREADS