The Classic EverQuest MMORPG Finally Goes Free to Play

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]It sounds to me like you prefer to hang with low quality players in order to puff up your ego.[/citation]

WoW is 99.999% low quality players. You might be an exception, but if 10,999,890 out of 11 million players are fail then my choices of whom to raid with were very limited.

cloudberry

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]EverQuest was the MMORPG that was such a major success and made everyone else want a piece of the pie. The game was a quality game as well. There is a reason why so many have come and died while EverQuest still goes on. Before WoW when someone mentioned MMORPGs the first game that came to mind was EverQuest.13 years of pay to play when newer games are now lucky to achieve a few years. Not to mention the countless ones that ended completely. You have to hand it to EverQuest it is a piece of gaming history. For the critics please point to me a game you developed that had a 13 year P2P lifespan.[/citation]

That is only if you forget the Asian market. Lineage may be an Ultima clone, but it subscriber and subscriber retention numbers that were unmatched until WoW.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nbelote[/nom]WoW is 99.999% low quality players. You might be an exception, but if 10,999,890 out of 11 million players are fail then my choices of whom to raid with were very limited.[/citation]

While I would agree that there are many good players in WoW, they aren't as rare as you seem to think. I get good, well behaved groups where people think before they do things and do things right about 2 in 5 times I run LFD. I tank (2X Pally, Warrior, Druid, and DK) and I run into all kinds. There are even times when I run into whole groups of total idiots. I usually leave those groups. I had one last night where I was really tempted, leveling up my second pally tank.

Quality players don't always mean they play perfect. I wouldn't want to deal with those elitist idiots. (They are the TO of MMO gaming. Sure they play great, but without teamwork, they fail no matter where they go. Teamwork is the way the world works. If you can't play on a team and appreciate your teammates, you aren't worth squat.)

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Sorry fellas, UO was the mmo that started all of this and to this day still hasnt been matched in most game play features. I played EQ, DAOC, EQ2, WOW, NWN and now SWOR...etc...etc.... throughout the the only thing that really got better was graphics.

[citation][nom]tleavit[/nom]Sorry fellas, UO was the mmo that started all of this and to this day still hasnt been matched in most game play features. I played EQ, DAOC, EQ2, WOW, NWN and now SWOR...etc...etc.... throughout the the only thing that really got better was graphics.[/citation]

UO was not the first MMO, but they were the first Massive MMO. I think it was Merridian 59 that was before (I didn't play it, and I might have it spelled wrong). EQ was the first group/raid based MMO. Of course before any of that there were MUDs and even a few graphical MUDs.

G

Google Project 1999 if you're looking for a classic EQ experience. Of course, there's also end game drama. (kinda sad)

Status
Not open for further replies.