Question The colors on the screen are changing on their own

vabsh

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
Hi,

Please excuse me for my english.

I have an ASUS ROG G315RC laptop. It has both NVIDIA and AMD GPUs and Windows 10. I'm using the laptop for Adobe Illustrator, Blender and such stuff.

But one day I noticed that the colors on the screen are changing on their own. I don't remember updating any drivers or installing new programs that day. Maybe there were some Windows updates that day, but I'm not sure.

I updated the NVIDIA drivers - I didn't help.

I tried to change some settings in Control Panel - it didn't help.

I thought that this has something to do with those sensors that adapt the picture to the light in the room, so I disabled that service - it didn't help, and maybe my laptop doesn't even have such sensors.

Also, I was unable to find that "adaptive brightness / contrast" setting. It is not available in my system.

Then I noticed that the NVIDIA Control Panel is changing the vibrance setting from 50% to 75% on its own. I restored the defaults (to 50%) and I clicked "Apply", but on reboot/restart it would go back to 75% again.

On boot/restart sometimes you can see a quick flicker on the screen and it looks like NVIDIA is struggling against Windows for authority over the colors or something like that.

Finally, I downloaded Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and I removed every graphic card in Safe Mode. Under GPU, DDU shows: NVIDIA, AMD and Intel (dunno why Intel).

After I removed all those GPUs and after restart, the picture looked good and everything was stable. However, I was unable to use some programs without the NVIDIA drivers. They won't work without it.

Then I downloaded older NVIDIA drivers from the ASUS website. Note that these drivers say "for Win 11", but Win 10 accepts them without any error message. But in the end this didn't help - the picture is changing anyway.

Then I went to Task scheduler and disabled the two triggers under Calibration Loader - it didn't help.

Then I used DDU again to remove everything and then I installed AMD drivers. It works, the picture is good and stable, but some programs either do not work with this GPU or do not perform very well with it.

Can you please tell me what should I try next? Thanks.

Btw, I saw this solution on another forum, but it requires advanced skills and I'm afraid not to mess something up.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS