The Complete iPad 3 Review: Retina Display, A5X, 4G LTE, And Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
lol FAIL hard when I see keyboard are displayed on TV as well despite being docked and to make thigns worst one still need to carry the adapter around to plug HDMI......

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Really a solid tablet. Just wish the adapter and outrageous bills could disappear... Great Review!

100 degrees is damn hot but I think the results are justified.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]lol FAIL hard when I see keyboard are displayed on TV as well despite being docked and to make thigns worst one still need to carry the adapter around to plug HDMI......[/citation]
+1 to the keyboard thing. But remember that most tablets (all?) don't have full size HDMI so you probably need a dongle 99% of the time anyway.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]HDMI port is not very thick, I still wonder whats keeping them from putting in on tablet.[/citation]
The port isn't all that's needed. There's also a bit of hardware around it for the socket that makes it a tad thicker and a stretch to fit in the chasis of tablets.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]The port isn't all that's needed. There's also a bit of hardware around it for the socket that makes it a tad thicker and a stretch to fit in the chasis of tablets.[/citation]looks like we gonna wait wide adoption for mini display port for TV then.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]Alchemy69[/nom]"Typically, you're looking at a tablet from less than a foot away"Really?[/citation]

Yeah I thought that comment was bunk too. Typically I use my tablet 1-2 feet away as less that 1 foot away would have the thing shoved up in my face too much and not give me any arm reach to operate the device properly.

As for the display in the iPad3 I went to the apple store and looked at it side by side with the iPad2. The colors look great but the super high pixel density was not as big of a difference as these reviews made it out to be.

The biggest things I noticed when comparing iPad2 and 3 side by side was the increased thickness and weight. Those 2 factors were enough for me to want to choose the iPad2, especially if I could get it a little cheaper than the iPad 3.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
I am curious, was it just a reduction in pixel size that made the higher gamut? that doesn't really make sense to me. Does anyone have more info?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I am not a fanboy of either camp. I have a tf prime and just got the ipad 3. I just wish apple would put a friggin sd slot. Watching my dvd collection while at the gym on the eliptical machine is a must and I am not fond of jumping though hoops to swap content in and out.

I also am curious about who will get the gaming win (more depends on where the devs go):
android tegra3, ipad3, vita, 3ds, or maybe microsoft will pull a rabbit out of their hat with win8.

jamesjones_det

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I'm not supporting and/or dissing the iPad or Tom's hardware but technically there is a "wireless" option with AirPlay and an Apple TV or Mac.

I'm just saying if we are supposed to be a technology site we should be sure the facts are correct.

give me a 16:9 or 16:10 tablet capable running an independant 1080 or 1200 capable external display with a native miniHDMI connector for easy setup for presentations and video watching (does not need 3D support on external display). I also want removable storage for SD cards as an option, and a USB port or 2 if it is not too much to ask so I can hook up my video camera, or keyboard, or credit card swiper without dealing with a dock. Lastly, I want a minimum 128GB of internal storage on it for $300-400. I will take a slower processor, or lowered graphics for the sake of a minimum 128GB of storage. Lastly, I want full MS office to run on it, none of this web-based office365 junk, especially if I am going to be out and about and not wanting to waste my 4G plan just to run office.

If I am going to pay $830 for a limited use tablet with 64GB storage and 4G, then I think I would rather spend that money on a notebook or ultrabook. I can still get a touch screen, I still get good graphics, I get a real keyboard/mouse, can still get a 4G option, and I get real x86 programs, removable storage, better connectivity options (USB3, thunderbolt), and (most importantly) real storage space.

Also, I would prefer win8 over iOS, but iOS is not a deal breaker if they would come out with something that would fit my use.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]nycnut[/nom]The data plan graphic is WRONG! Verizon offers 2GB vs ATTs 3GB for the same $30. Check your facts...[/citation]
My fault. Corrected.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Yeah I thought that comment was bunk too. Typically I use my tablet 1-2 feet away as less that 1 foot away would have the thing shoved up in my face too much and not give me any arm reach to operate the device properly.As for the display in the iPad3 I went to the apple store and looked at it side by side with the iPad2. The colors look great but the super high pixel density was not as big of a difference as these reviews made it out to be. The biggest things I noticed when comparing iPad2 and 3 side by side was the increased thickness and weight. Those 2 factors were enough for me to want to choose the iPad2, especially if I could get it a little cheaper than the iPad 3.[/citation]

That comment could apply to any tablet and like you mentioned it depends on how you use it. The worst yet most real world scenario where PPI becomes a problem is at a distance around 11 to 12 inches from your face. Any farther and resolving pixel density no longer becomes a problem for older displays like those on the iPad 2 and other Android tablets.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]jamesjones_det[/nom]I'm not supporting and/or dissing the iPad or Tom's hardware but technically there is a "wireless" option with AirPlay and an Apple TV or Mac.I'm just saying if we are supposed to be a technology site we should be sure the facts are correct.[/citation]

That's more analogous to DLNA and it concerns media management over a network. Wireless display it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.