The Core i7-4770K Review: Haswell Is Faster; Desktop Enthusiasts Yawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny N

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Biggest question is if its worth upgrading my cpu i5 750 4.0ghz to Haswell or my gfx card ati 5870 to nvidia 7xx, my main pc use is for Maya, After FX and some fps gaming. Any input would be appriciated cause I'm leaning towards a cpu upgrade atm.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
For me it's not about the 10% gain over SB. It's more like a huge gain over a C2Q, floating point performance over SB (should matter later), and lower watts. I hope THG can expand the Power Consumption and Media Encoding later - check the Watts idle more and fast quick-sync media encoding quality loss. My 2 cents..

EDIT:
other sites have reported much lower watts idle, so a lot doesn't make sense or the 4770k has a very slow throttle.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/56005-intel-core-i7-4770k-22nm-haswell/?page=15
http://www.techspot.com/review/679-intel-haswell-core-i7-4770k/page13.html

016ive

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Intel made the Sandy bridge because of the phenom X6, without competition from AMD Intel will make small improvements every generation to make more money :(

sl6

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
I was looking to make a new system based around this. Looks like Ivy-E will be more promising for the FPS.

D

Deleted member 217926

Well crap. And early overclocking looked so good.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
1.4770K sucks harder than the preview showed it to be.

2. Another thing i noticed, the FX8350 was a big total energy hog. That is one point AMD fanbois dont talk.

3. Chris , no specialized AVX2 softwares ? No AVX enabled Handbrake in tests ?
4. Would have liked to see some -/AVX2 compiled software in here. Maybe left for another "compiler tuning on Haswell piece" ?

D

Deleted member 1134614

[citation][nom]016ive[/nom]Intel made the Sandy bridge because of the phenome X6, without competition from AMD Intel will make small improvements every generations to make more money[/citation]
Yeah, I agree with ya. Without competition there is no innovation. As for intel, "I am disappoint"

unknown9122

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
I still don't get why intel went with a new socket if they consider the desktop to be "dying"... I think this is AMDs chance to shine

Icecweam7

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Is Intel changing its ways to now slownevate the industry? What is Intel's R&D doing? Are they too busy counting their bonuses, stocks, cigars, wine, tee time golf, and vacation trips? *Looks skyward with palm to the face and many yawns

Wow... well no surprise those "leaked" overclock scores were all bogus. Those were reminding me of the reports prior to Bulldozer's arrival.

But i never would have guessed Haswell would be no better then a 5% improvement over IB, and actually worse on power management and overclocking. Tom's said they had 12 chips and only got 1 to 4.7? almost all of them topped out at 4.3 and 4.4? the "lucky chips" hit 4.5... IB overclocks better then that! I wonder if this is another case of poor thermal grease.

Disappointing Intel. that they locked BCLK out for non K is no surprise. Frankly, because of the chaos BCLK causes when used, i'm surprised they didn't lock it out completely. I wouldn't touch it even if i had a K series chip.

Well, if we needed any confirmation that intel was sandbagging so AMD isn't slaughtered this is it. Not only do they provide almost zero improvement, they raised their prices of the cpu across the board too. This chip is about keeping AMD in the desktop game and dominating mobile.

[citation][nom]ilysaml[/nom]That was obvious, it's all about HD Graphics. If steamroller matches Ivy Bridge Performance, AMD will catch up with Intel pretty soon.[/citation]

the need a 30%-40% boost over piledriver to match IB/HW. That's a huge jump, and i'm not sure we'll see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.