The Core i7 Laptop With Dual 17'' 1080P LCDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Definitely a niche machine. Most people will see no true benefit to having this extra screen space on the go, especially for the high price.

3ddraft

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
As a CAD tech / project manager, this would be great for client presentations or onsite work. I agree that no really massive work could be done but site sketches, or the nuts and bolts presentations would be easier.

G

This is not a laptop, this a mobile workstation: arguing about battery duration is pointless.

But true enough, while the included GPU is enough for most uses, it would have been nice to have the opportunity to get a bigger one, for video rendering & so on.

Same goes for HDD: no SSD for such an high end machine? Really? A combo SSD + HDD would have been sweet.

seller417

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
there are a lot of negative people out there...i think its pretty cool and like anything else some people will say this is exactly what they have been looking for.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
not for me. if i need 2 screens, i'd bring along 2 laptops. a bit heavier but how many times do you need 2 full 17" screens on the road?

verbalizer

Distinguished
it needs to have a stronger gfx component, a GTS 250M doesn't really cut it anymore.
that's very disappointing as well as the price being slightly high.
and the battery life is what again..?

G

no sandy bridge? 250m GTS? wut? lol ,try 2630QM and 460m-560m at least...

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Well, on the idea of performance for value, the hardware is probably fairly placed for the money, cause probably woud cost more for more, or to do more. In terms of gaming, its hard to find one with the idea of two screens anyways unless you find the interest of course, but probably hard founf against just a company release. Like im sure a GTS 250M is still twice as fast as my computer alone almost. Maybe more towards Graphics side of course, but it. Would be able to run some intersting games twice over.

Battery life yes probably the one issue of it all, of course, but still. Laptobs i dont think are the same, hence the GTS 250(m) rather that mtters or not, who knows. Could just be there for something different.

G

This is a workstation, not a gaming rig. having 2 screens that close to the keyboard would drive a person mad being so close to the inside bezels of each monitor. Subtract the bezels and it'd be pretty sweet.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
On the same vein, does anyone know of a truly portable LCD (ruggedized, with built in cover and compacting stand)? Thats really the thing this tries to solve. Why make a laptop and be constantly chasing CPU/GPU specs when you can just focus on the screen? If they made a compact display that was about the same form factor as a laptop it would be fantastic.

It would be the perfect power-rig for road warriors (not unlike myself) who find long hours hunched in front of a laptop in a hotel room to be quite tiring. One (or more) nice big screen and a way to raise it to appropriate eye level would be absolutely stunning.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Is it just me, or is the screen on the left matte and the screen on the right glossy? Why oh why do they continue to make Glossy screens? I mean, maybe visual developers, artists, etc.. might like glossy, but for 99% of computer users out there, matte just makes more sense.

And why does the more expensive computer have a slower processor? The cheaper one has a [dual-core?] Core i5 running at 2.66GHz, while the more expensive one has a quad-core running at 1.76GHz. I understand more cores means more work at a single time, but in what instance is two more cores going to balance out the fact that you are running 1 Gigahertz slower?

Status
Not open for further replies.