The Curious Case Of 3Glasses And Windows Mixed Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
The most likely answer is the simplest one: The hardware isn't ready, and therefore Microsoft isn't including them in the party. All of the "chosen" manufacturers have working inside-out 6DoF solutions being demoed now. If 3Glasses can catch up and prove themselves, I am sure we'll be hearing more about them. Although their price will also have to come down... right now they're too close to the pioneers to fit with Microsoft's "for the masses" hardware showcase. $400-ish including a pair of motion controllers is definitely more appealing than current setups, especially when you factor in external camera setups and motion controllers.

mapa45

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Yeah, $500 for a dev kit that is kinda (pre)beta from a no-name brand? No thanks. And it looks like they want us to distribute content through their portal that is based in China. I'll pass.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Only one of the chosen MFRs has a working demo, though. We've seen nada, zilch, zero from HP, Lenovo, Asus, Dell...

Totally agree about the $400 price tag for the Acer kit, though. Many people will already have a PC that meets the spec requirements, so the total hardware investment for PC-based VR for many people is now just $400. I can imagine a lot of people getting one of these as gifts this holiday season.

Now about that content...

Status
Not open for further replies.