[SOLVED] The cursor jumps around and it is not possible to write properly

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello. I thought I had solved this problem but no. I am writing from Italy. A friend of mine has a problem. She has an Asus laptop with Windows 7 but has trouble with the cursor: it jumps around. What can be the solution? The problem persists even with an external mouse. I thought the keyboard was faulty and replaced same with a new one but no success. I would like to solve this problem because the lady is a very good friend of mine, I have known her for 38 years. She does not use the laptop a lot and does not want to change it for another one, but when she writes an email or a letter, trying various browsers, the wording disappears on its own. Maybe it is a software problem, maybe it can be solved by re-installing Windows (which I can do), but before I attempt that, I would like to know your opinion. Thanks a lot and best regards

Solution
Sounds like a defective or over-sensitive trackpad.

If the cursor doesn't jump when she's not using the laptop, then go into the trackpad settings and turn up the palm rejection sensitivity. When your fingers or palm rest on or near the trackpad, that sends it spurious data which can cause the pointer to jump around. Turn off tap to click too, as that can turn a jumping pointer into a a jumping cursor (pointer move + click = new cursor location). Jumping cursor while pointer moves = select, and anything she types after that will replace the selection. I usually turn off tap to click on new laptops for this reason - if it's on it's way too easy to mess things up from just brushing your finger against the trackpad.

If those don't...
Sounds like a defective or over-sensitive trackpad.

If the cursor doesn't jump when she's not using the laptop, then go into the trackpad settings and turn up the palm rejection sensitivity. When your fingers or palm rest on or near the trackpad, that sends it spurious data which can cause the pointer to jump around. Turn off tap to click too, as that can turn a jumping pointer into a a jumping cursor (pointer move + click = new cursor location). Jumping cursor while pointer moves = select, and anything she types after that will replace the selection. I usually turn off tap to click on new laptops for this reason - if it's on it's way too easy to mess things up from just brushing your finger against the trackpad.

If those don't fix it, then the trackpad is probably defective. Disabling it should allow her to use an external mouse. Some laptops have a Fn hotkey to disable it. If hers doesn't, you should be able to disable it in device manager (This PC => right click => properties => manage).

If it's a defective trackpad, you can replace it. But the availability of a replacement will depend on the laptop model and how old it is. And of course you have to be comfortable opening up the laptop and messing with its innards. If you're lucky the trackpad is a separate unit and a replacement will only cost a few dollars. If you're unlucky it'll be integrated into the keyboard, and a replacement will cost around $50-$100.

Solution

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello,
I went to see my friend, reinstalled Windows 7 Pro anew and updated the chipset and touchpad driver as Moderator Helpstar suggested.
But no success.
Still, I am one who believes that the machine must not win. The human must win. So I am not ready to give up.
I think I should replace the touchpad card, probably. But dismantling the laptop is not an option.
So I hope you can come up with some other thing I can try.
Thanks a lot and best regards

TRENDING THREADS