News The Data Avast Sells About Its Customers Is Shockingly Personal

Thinking about it (and having just gone through my 4th GDPR course in 2 years), I think that they are on very dodgy ground, unless you actively agree to the usage of data for named purposes they can't use it, they would have to ask do you agree to us selling your browsing history, I don't think that they can bury it in T&C's. You should be able to ask for a DSAR and request the data that they hold on, anonymisation is not enough if it can be reconstructed, and the penalty is a maximum fine of 4% of turnover. Breaches are normally thought of in terms of data exposure but this also qualifies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
always remember if it's free, then you are the product!!

but even the paid services also collect and sell the same info. they love to state "we do not collect and sell personal info" but look at what they consider "personal info" if they even bother to define it at all.

they play the word game and say personal info is your name and email. but everything else since it is supposed to be anonymous is fair game. so you pay them and then they still collect and sell your usage data for the extra cash anyway.....

the EU has a good start on laws governing this hidden word play collection but in the end it's still doing very little to stop these games

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
always remember if it's free, then you are the product!!

This statement is false as open source software rarely implements data collection practices with the obvious exception being Chromium as Google has spent a massive amount of time burying tracking code into the source that's difficult to identify and remove.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
This statement is false as open source software rarely implements data collection practices with the obvious exception being Chromium as Google has spent a massive amount of time burying tracking code into the source that's difficult to identify and remove.

if that's what gets you to sleep at night, then go ahead and believe it. there is much less collection for sure on the open source linux side of the world, but if it's on windows and free, then there is pretty much a guarantee you are the product.

but bury your head in the sand if you wish and pretend it is not true, honestly my day will go the same either way :)