News The death of Windows 10 ignites PC market rebound — market projected to be up 5% this year, 8% in 2025

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
Windows users too stubborn to make the Windows 11 upgrade, or locked away entirely by the lack of the hardware TPM 2.0 module, are more likely buying a new PC just to have a working PC, not necessarily because they're salivating at the prospect of paying for an NPU.
This is it. I know people who need a new pc. One has an aging 1st gen i7 that died a few years back and they were hobbling along on a half-baked 4th gen i5. They tend to prefer prebuilts, but prebuilts only do W11. They might end up using it or going custom. Jury's out.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
Advice for people owning Intel 10th Gen or 11th that supposed to support Window 11 but getting the massage that their PC doesn't support the OS:
There are setting in the bios (that has to be UEFI) that can be turned on in order to support Windows 11.
In each motherboard the settings are different so it is very important to check the internet for information about which settings to change or to turn on (should be about 3-4) and their location because messing with the wrong settings in the bios may break your PC.
If these settings or some of them are not present, bios update is necessary.
If after the bios update the setting "trusted computing" is still missing, a hardware TPM module is needed. This should cost about $20 not including shipment, but it is cheaper that a whole PC.
The user need to check the motherboard model and the pins layout of the connector BEFORE buying the TPM module and to verify that the module is TPM 2.0 and not an older version.
After installing the module the missing setting in the bios should appear after restart and the TPM full installation will take several restarts. The user need to wait few minutes between restarts to check that the red storage led is mostly off so the PC is finished doing the stuff it does after it is turned on.