"The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout". What is this and can it be fixed?

avalonbright

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
When scanning event viewer for the results of chkdsk overnight (which came up with 0 errors), I decided to poke around and I found a ton of

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout

popping up under the System heading, most with Event Code 9. I'm not sure if this is what's causing my BSODs, but according to Event Viewer they started on 2/28 and there are none in the log whatsoever before that date, which is the date my BSODs started. It seems like a potential connection.

Does anyone know how I can fix this, and how serious an issue it is? It sounds like it's related to the hard drive but since chkdsk came up error free I don't know what to think. I've run MSE, Malwarebytes, Memtest, chkdsk, hddscan, everything is turning up fine. Yet these errors keep popping up in the Event Viewer and coincide right with when BSODs started...

My system specs as mentioned in another thread are an i7-860 cpu, 8GB DDR3 RAM (4x2GB), Radeon 5770 gpu, 1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA HDD, and a 400w PSU.

Solution
If you have another pc or a close friend with one, get a copy from that pc and put it in the drivers folder I listed above. You should be able to run belarc advisor or another program to get your original key so that you can download the ISO.

avalonbright

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I have been looking into that...Just about 15 minutes ago I crashed AGAIN, but this time for some reason it decided to actually write a minidump. The following of which provided:

030415-270271-01.dmp 3/4/2015 1:15:07 AM
Bug Check String: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
Bug Check Code and Parameters: 0x000000c5 00000000`00000008 00000000`00000002 00000000`00000001 fffff800`02fb2627
Caused By: raspppoe.sys
Caused By Address: raspppoe.sys+4d2c820
Processor: x64
Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+74ec0

But I can't find out where to replace this raspppoe... And I'd prefer not to do a complete reinstall...

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers is where this file is located.

Click Start, input cmd, then right-click run as administrator. At the command prompt, type the command: sfc /scannow to see if it identifies or fixes your problem. You rarely need to do a full install as the repair option fixes most issues with corrupt files.

The following link walks you through the process of a repair install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

avalonbright

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I did run scannow as well, I thought I mentioned that. All the more confusing why it's saying these drivers are an issue...I'm beginning to think the recovery partition is the only option I have. But without actual discs I can't do a non-destructive reinstall...

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
You might be able to borrow a disc from someone with the same system you have installed although it is hit or miss with systems with the original install on a hidden partition. I think the MS site is back up now to download an ISO copy if you can't borrow a disc. Try that before doing a full install. Just make sure that you have all of your files backed up if you need to do a full install and download any needed chipset, video, Lan and USB drivers to a thumb drive first. Hopefully you won't need to go that route though.

Though not the preferred method you could try downloading the raspppoe.sys file from a reputable site and then putting it in the correct folder to see if that fixes the error.

avalonbright

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Even more unfortunately, this is OEM Windows so I can't even get the ISO from the site or this would be a lot less of an issue. I've backed up pretty much everything, and I'm trying to find a reputable site with raspppoe.sys but nothing's cropped up yet.

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
If you have another pc or a close friend with one, get a copy from that pc and put it in the drivers folder I listed above. You should be able to run belarc advisor or another program to get your original key so that you can download the ISO.

Solution

Dee Kay

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Sorry to hear that but if you are able to keep your pc running long enough to d/l a program that will show you the key then you should be able to get the ISO. The OEM only means that the OS is tied to that mobo and can't be transferred. The product key would still allow you to d/l the ISO so that is all you need.

TRENDING THREADS