[SOLVED] The display doesn’t work no matter what I do

Dec 25, 2021
I just got a new cpu, a ryzen 5 5600x. When I got it all situated, there was no display when I turned it on. I did some research and my motherboard (asus prime b450m csm) bios was too old and didn’t support the 5000 series, so all I had to do was update the bios. I downloaded the bios update on a flash drive and put in my old cpu and updated it. When I loaded the update it went black after a couple seconds and then stayed in an off state. I will note that I didn’t put the cooler on the old cpu so that may have something to do with it. I’ve turned off and on the PC and tried my new cpu but no matter what I do I can’t see with either one now. I even tried shorting that one set of pins to reset the bios and still nothing (I actually may have done it wrong, it’s really hard to get under my graphics card. I know that’s a lot but any solutions?

Solution
When I loaded the update it went black after a couple seconds and then stayed in an off state. I will note that I didn’t put the cooler on the old cpu so that may have something to do with it.
Even in BIOS a modern CPU can not handle operation without a cooler on it. My guess is it overheated and shut down in mid update, almost certainly corrupting the BIOS and bricking the motherboard.

Ideally the CPU simply shut down and didn't fry. Have you tried starting the system with the old CPU...but with a cooler on it? If it does start into BIOS try re-flashing the new BIOS. But leave the cooler on throughout...fully attached, with thermal compound and everything.

If it won't work your motherboard is probably bricked at this...
When I loaded the update it went black after a couple seconds and then stayed in an off state. I will note that I didn’t put the cooler on the old cpu so that may have something to do with it.
Even in BIOS a modern CPU can not handle operation without a cooler on it. My guess is it overheated and shut down in mid update, almost certainly corrupting the BIOS and bricking the motherboard.

Ideally the CPU simply shut down and didn't fry. Have you tried starting the system with the old CPU...but with a cooler on it? If it does start into BIOS try re-flashing the new BIOS. But leave the cooler on throughout...fully attached, with thermal compound and everything.

If it won't work your motherboard is probably bricked at this point. If it has BIOS flashback (what motherboard is it?) you might be able to force-update that way, maybe not. A good computer/electronics shop could update the BIOS using tools they have but they may charge about the same price as a new motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 25, 2021

If it won't work your motherboard is probably bricked at this point. If it has BIOS flashback (what motherboard is it?) you might be able to force-update that way, maybe not. A good computer/electronics shop could update the BIOS using tools they have but they may charge about the same price as a new motherboard.
I did use the old cpu with a cooler on it afterwards, and my motherboard is an asus prime b450m a csm. And when you say bricked do you mean it won’t do anything at all? Because the power still works, the fans still run and everything.

I did use the old cpu with a cooler on it afterwards, and my motherboard is an asus prime b450m a csm. And when you say bricked do you mean it won’t do anything at all? Because the power still works, the fans still run and everything.
By bricked I mean it won't boot up...not even POST...if the BIOS is corrupted. Lights will still light and fans spin though.

Sadly that's not a board with BIOS flashback...nor is it one really worth spending much trying to fix. But on the chance it got flashed before shutting down try to do a CMOS reset and try either processor again.

Last edited: