the dns server isn't responding

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
I've been getting this terribly often with windows 8, while my sister who has a labtop on the same network as me never has any problems with the internet.

RealBeast

Titan
If it can get to the router, unless you have MAC addressing enabled on the router and your device is not in the approved list, then I would look at the ipconfig output for obvious problems.

If there aren't any apparent issues, then I would try using a static DNS address. To do that go to your network control panel, change adapter settings, choose the wireless adapter and right click, select properties, networking tab, highlight Internet Protocol Version 4, click Properties button, check the button for "Use the following DNS server address" and enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the two boxes -- that is the Google public DNS servers.

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
I've changed my numbers to the google public dns but it hasn't solved the problem, how can I reinstall my network drivers? I've looked in devices but im not sure if its the adapter or ethernet controller?

RealBeast

Titan
If it is a problem when you connect with a cable it is the Ethernet (LAN) adapter, if it is a wireless connection problem then that would be the one. Which connection are you trying to make

There are several ways to reinstall either. Go into the control panel and look at the device manager, check the status of both adapters. You can update them if they do not say the they are working correctly.

Are you certain that your router is correctly configured?

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
It is a wired connection. I'm sure that the router is set up properly, I've been using internet on it for a little over a year and on my laptop I've never had problems.

I did go into device manager but they both said they were working correctly.

I've had this problem 2 weeks ago, the internet would keep dropping but in 2-3 days it fixed itself and now its back. It's very strange though, sometimes it would show me the ! on my internet and say that there's either no connection or limited but other times it tells me it working normally while I can't open any browser or use any online service.

I will try to switch my cables but I don't think it will work.

I forgot to mention that this happened right after it requested a restart to update so that may have something to do with it?

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Windows update says I am all up to date and even downloaded 8.1 but I still have the problem

RealBeast

Titan
"I forgot to mention that this happened right after it requested a restart to update so that may have something to do with it? "

Clearly it was related to the update, perhaps it did not install correctly. I would do a repair install, which does not lose data or programs, follow this excellent guide from HERE.