The Elder Scrolls Online Now Open for Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
i havent seen a comunity where eso launch was a big thing. yeah few hardcore skyrim fans bought it, but thats about it. free wide open beta is a very different thing from very expensive product with a lot of competition. 5 mil in beta could become 100k first week sales including preorders.

Jake Lloyd

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
I was very excited to check out the game, I still play Skyrim from time to time and loved Oblivion. I got invited to 6 beta weekends and played in the first 4. The game was fun and you could see great improvements every build.With all that said, I haven't picked up the game. Partly due to not wanting to shell out $15 a month when I can play everything else for free (stopped playing WoW a year ago).Second reason is the imperial edition. In no way should a company ever make you pay more to get actual game play changing stuff in a subscription game. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Most of you that even saw it tried beta for a short while and quit. This MMO is amazing. Just wait when the release reviews start coming out. Its so much what's been missing from MMOs in years. Old school MMO'rs will love this in particular. And the PvP is unreal. I was skeptical at first but now I'm a believer. so much fun, detail, depth, and design. I never would have thought.

Achaios-1328513

Honorable
May 28, 2013
At last, a real medieval fantasy game as opposed to a game based on Kung Fu Pandas, Pokemon, Mangas/Anime and Transformers that is the travesty so-called "WoW". I really enjoy all the hate from the Kung Fu Panda & Pokemon loving WoW fanbois. This means that Elder Scrolls is really hurting WoW. I think that a move away from the retarded Kung Fu Panda/Pokemon WoW paradigm towards a more faithful rendering of a medieval fantasy world is good for true fans of the genre not to mention the awesome graphics versus WoW's modified Warcraft III engine that dates from 2002.

csf60

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Most of you that even saw it tried beta for a short while and quit. This MMO is amazing. Just wait when the release reviews start coming out. Its so much what's been missing from MMOs in years. Old school MMO'rs will love this in particular. And the PvP is unreal. I was skeptical at first but now I'm a believer. so much fun, detail, depth, and design. I never would have thought.
At last, a real medieval fantasy game as opposed to a game based on Kung Fu Pandas, Pokemon, Mangas/Anime and Transformers that is the travesty so-called "WoW". I really enjoy all the hate from the Kung Fu Panda & Pokemon loving WoW fanbois. This means that Elder Scrolls is really hurting WoW. I think that a move away from the retarded Kung Fu Panda/Pokemon WoW paradigm towards a more faithful rendering of a medieval fantasy world is good for true fans of the genre not to mention the awesome graphics versus WoW's modified Warcraft III engine that dates from 2002.
I was very excited to check out the game, I still play Skyrim from time to time and loved Oblivion. I got invited to 6 beta weekends and played in the first 4. The game was fun and you could see great improvements every build.With all that said, I haven't picked up the game. Partly due to not wanting to shell out $15 a month when I can play everything else for free (stopped playing WoW a year ago).Second reason is the imperial edition. In no way should a company ever make you pay more to get actual game play changing stuff in a subscription game. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
ESO damage control employees detected.

hannibal

Distinguished
I have seen some good reviews of this game. The bad is that it is very traditional MMO. Same icon bashing as almost all MMOs. The multiplayer content seems to be good. The graphic engine scales very well and you can use quite low end machine to run it, but even 780ti struggles in higher settings! The single player experience has not been so great so far, but every new MMO has been real pain in the... when released, so it will take 6 months to one year to see how this will end. I play MMO game once or twice in a month, so it would cost be 15$ to play one to three hours of this game , so this is not for me. Otherwise quite promising.

I was in the Beta and at 1080p was running it at the max settings allowed (not sure if they are higher ones now) and I'm rocking a Radeon 6870.

The game is Ok, but I didn't care much for the interface overall. People need to remember that this is only the PC version released, the Xbone version is coming in July IIRC, so I think sales will jump quite a bit once the console version launches.

I played WoW from Burning Crusade and quit a few months before Cataclysm launched, and WoW pretty much burned me out on MMO's and I wont pay monthly for any game ever again. Same as I wont buy pieces of games ever again, I bought battlefield 3 and refuse to buy DLC.

Just realize this is not Skyrim or Oblivion. Those two are single player games. MMO's are not single player games, and if you approach them that way, you'll be very disappointed. These are Massive Multiplayer online games. They are fun due to the people you play with, and that the world is full of people. To make a game work for massive people, the single player experience of Skyrim just cannot work.If you are upset about paying to play, just realize that free to play games are typically more expensive, if you want to experience the game as everyone else does, as they up charge you for everything. The monthly subscription model is cheaper on average, and everyone is the same. There is something to be said for that.Hopefully they didn't fall into the same trap so many other MMO's do these days, and actually make the game where it almost forces you to group. Then people will actually experience the MMO aspect of the game, otherwise there is no point in an MMO.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
ESO damage control employees detected.
Perhaps, but his summary of WoW is spot on. He's right about it being good for medieval fantasy genre and gamers as a whole getting away from the over vivid cartoon looking Blizzard graphic design stylization. Getting back to more gritty fantasy graphics is good for the genre because most of us gamers aren't 12 year olds. Blizzard fan boy detected!

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I played beta, lets just say I played less every beta weekend until I didn't play no more, nice try eos but you need to play other games before making a new one, see what people want and expect for new mmo

permanoob

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
For those that have played, how many bear a**holes do I need to collect to complete the first quest? When you move on to the second quest in the quest hub, how many skunk pelts do you have to collect?

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Let me get this straight. A retail price, and a monthly fee, AND a pay2win transaction right out of the gate? Way to triple-dip, Bethesda.
By pay2win, I'm assuming you are talking about the Imperial Edition? Any Race on any Faction is not a game-changer (per se, unless you're an RP diehard), nor is Imperial style equipment or vanity pets. The mount IS kinda pay2win, but it's their slowest mount (yes, there's different tiers of mounts) and it's only a stock 15% speed boost to begin with. As for the other two: Star Wars, WoW, and EQ all have done subs. ESO has promised (yeah, grain of salt) to make the sub worth it with regular content releases (we'll see). But at least it isn't as terrible as WoW subs for the SoO patch until xpak release timeframe.

gibbousmoon100

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

Yeah, talking about the mount. I hear what you're saying, and I grant your points, but to be honest it really wouldn't matter to me if it were only a 5% speed gain.

It's still a gameplay advantage that you pay for with real money.

That fact alone spoils the fun for me in any video game: the knowledge that I can, *officially* and with the developers' blessing, connect my real-life wealth with my in-game wealth. I (and surely many others) feel that keeping the two separate is absolutely essential for in-game non-vanity material acquisition to give me any sense of satisfaction.

So, that's my position on pay2win. I also hold the opinion that the fact that Bethesda is using all three profit models at the same time is the icing on the cake, and makes them extra worthy of ridicule.

By the account, it is a temporary advantage. One that can easily be surpassed as you level up.

Status
Not open for further replies.