[SOLVED] The End of Mac OS X Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
I discovered bliss in November 2010, on the 21st to be exact. See, that's the day something truly wonderful and life-changing happened. It was a sunny day as I recall...a beautiful day. I was so excited that I couldn't sleep the night before, tossing, turning, ...levitating in my bed. This would be the day that changed history as I knew it. This would be the day that... ...the leviathan arrived. A 2010 Xeon 3.3Ghz 6-core nasty-fast-nasty Mac Pro. She arrived. I cried happy tears [I think I did anyways]. She would be used to virtualize the world...running multiple networked virtual machines simultaneously...effortlessly, undeterred, as I simultaneously encoded video and miixed dance tracks. She would change the world as I knew it...and she did. Nothing slows her down.

2 years have passed and I've upgraded her, RAID0 Vertex2 128GB SSDs and RAID0 600GB Velociprators, 24GB of RAM, dual 27" Cinema Displays, LightScribe burner. She's raw. What'd she cost? Errr...let's not talk about that...but less than a new Corvette I assure you. ..but I realize I no longer really have a need for such planet-destroying, black-hole vaporizing power. My MacBook Pro now quite easily fulfilling my needs as I spend more time with it and even more mobile technologies {SGS3, Transformer Infinity+dock}.

...and so, the unthinkable will happen...

She will be sold.

So, in your honest opinion when she's put up on the auction table what's a fair price for such a machine in pristine condition? I know I cannot get anywhere near what she costs, but don't want to be totally ripped-off either. Again, her specs are:

2010 3.3Ghz Hexa-core Mac Pro
Mac OS X Mountain Lion
24GB OWC ECC RAM
AMD HD5870 {1GB RAM}
2 x 128GB Vertex2 SSDs in RAID 0
2 x 600GB WD VelociRaptors in RAID 0
2 x 2011 27" Apple Cinema Displays
1-year of Apple Care remaining
She's in very clean condition, I've blown her with compressed air EVERY week since she was purchased to ensure no overly bold dust got too comfortable.

No, I'm not soliciting offers here, I just want to get some honest opinions about what I should charge. ...don't want to over or under charge. Your thoughts, as always, are much appreciated.

I really wish it wasn't anything to do with Apple.... and we could have really given you the perfect price for 'Her'.....
But the description itself would be worth the money I guess....
Although you can't think of the SGS3 in comparison to this..... but what the heck, it's just a part of the whole ensemble right.... 2.5K is really what strikes the head.... but for that kinda dough I think most people will go for a new rig....

halcyon

Splendid
That's a good perspective but you can't match what I'm selling if you buy a new rig for $2,500. This is not a machine with gaming in mind {though she can game fine} and the LED displays and other upgrades are top notch (IMHO). She's not quite a pro workstation (because of graphics) she has more in common with that side than the gaming side. The buyer would be someone looking, specifically, for a Mac Pro but can't afford those specs new.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Those two displays alone should still be worth two grand.

After all it doesn't really matter what something is worth. It only matters if you find someone to pay for it.

Nice try of advertising it here, without officially offering it. ;)

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hey there,

Because Mac Pro prices exist sort of in a vacuum, I'd suggest you use the Mac store as a comparison point. There are several 2010 models listed (although I don't think I see your exact one). They seem to support the $2500-3k range. Although you probably aren't as reputable as Apple ... so might need to knock a few hundred off whatever Apple could sell it for.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/mac_pro

Look it up on ebay too.

halcyon

Splendid

That's great advice. ...and since the machine is only recently one generation behind I'll advise the prospective buyer to shop around. ...at $2500-$3000, though, I'd be giving it away...and I hope they realize it. The machine, as configured cost me just over $10K. I'm not looking to get even half of that because I don't think that'd be realistic. However, I will take your advice and do some more research. As WhatsThatNoise insightfully stated, its not what I paid for it or what's worth...its what someone is willing to pay.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yep, the issue of buying a used system (especially an expensive used system) puts all of the risk on the buyer. Finding a buyer for such a purchase can be a challenge.

I suggest you take a look at Craigslist (for your area as well). Several months ago, I did some shopping around for a Mac Pro for my daughter (built her an editing rig for college graduation). Looked at Craigslist, eBay, new, refurbs, etc. When it can to CL, the issue was finding an acceptable price point to assume the risk of plunking down a bunch of money on a system that could potentially die the next day.

Also, CL also offers the advantage for finding a local buyer. Shipping such a system is VERY expensive and also runs the risk of damge.

What geographic market are you in?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Craigslist is a good idea for a local buyer, and the DC market is certainly stronger than most for this -- however ... most people that can afford this probably do not regularly surf craigslist. Worth a try though.

As weird as this is ... some networking might be in order. Maybe reach out to some local stores (I doubt Apple/Microcenter will take it - but some of the small computer shops that sell refurbished macs might consider it). Another idea might be to reach out and ask for ideas from any local friends that are graphic designers (the high-end apple community, if you will).

Actually .. the Apple staff at Microcenter might have some ideas, and they are probably less restricted in what they can say.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Not counting the displays, a pc owner would expect to pay ~$1000 for a used PC with those specs. But being that it's an apple product, you'll find some foolish apple fan willing to pay twice that just for the computer, without the displays. The Apple displays are a special case.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
I think you're problem is marketing. I'm no expert, but it seems the market for this machine is relatively small, so your challenge is to find out how to reach potential buyers, those who would want a machine like this. As mentioned, e-bay and Craigslist are two places to start.

Hi :)

I own computer shops in the UK so may be different to US......

But we sell reconditioned machines....

The rule we go by is...

You take the total new cost of the machine and you start your selling at 50% of that as its second hand....

To be honest , I seriously doubt you will get anywhere near $2500.... as a new machine WITH A GUARANTEE can be bought for that...

But good luck anyway, I will be interested to hear what you do get for it...

All the best Brett :)

Hi :)

Is that Transferable to a second user though ?

All the best Brett :)

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
This popped up for me again and I want to note that the above estimates should be for the Pro - I would consider selling the displays separately.

They shouldn't have depreciated too much at all (unlike the Mac) --because the buyer can look at them to determine condition.

halcyon

Splendid
Yes, there is indeed over 1 year of Apples Care on the system ..so that protects the buyer a bit, I'll make sure to emphasize that. Good bit about the displays. There's also 2.4 years of Apple Care left on the displays. These warranties are transferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.