[SOLVED] The fastest cable to directly transfer data between 2 win 10/Linux pc's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovedescent7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Folks I've spent hours looking for this and it's driving me nuts.

Bottom line, I want to directly connect two windows 10 pc's or Linux, with a single cable that transfers data 20gbps or faster.
Solution must NOT be ethernet.
And NO adapters for example tb3 to ethernet.

Is there such a thing?
Any of the recent USB revisions after 3.1 capable of direct connecting between 2 windows hosts at 20gbps+?
Or Will USB4 Be capable?

Or can single cable direct connect between 2 pc's with tb3? (a little expensive but could manage)

Yes I understand that things get complicated when 2 hosts are involved.
But I've seen recently that some new usb have DRD Tech where hosts communicate properly w/o bridge or special cable.
I'm not againts a bridge/transfer cable either though!

In a perfect world I'd really like to know if USB 3.2(20gbs) or HIGHER can connect via single cable between two windows or Linux hosts just to transfer data only.

Or worst case, 2 hosts via single TB3 cable, w/o ethernet adapter.

Can anyone simply provide an answer without describing all host to host stuff, and not explain all of the USB revisions?
Just a solution?

Solution
USB and Thunderbolt are not designed for host-to-host communication. macOS has a special bridge mode for Thunderbolt though, but it's probably something only macOS has. And as far as I can tell, there's no data transfer cable (which allows two computers to talk over USB) faster than USB 3.0 speeds. There are other host-to-host connection types that meet your speed requirements, but the speed requirement alone is basically in enterprise level stuff.

If you're looking for a ready made solution, I don't think you'll find one.
USB and Thunderbolt are not designed for host-to-host communication. macOS has a special bridge mode for Thunderbolt though, but it's probably something only macOS has. And as far as I can tell, there's no data transfer cable (which allows two computers to talk over USB) faster than USB 3.0 speeds. There are other host-to-host connection types that meet your speed requirements, but the speed requirement alone is basically in enterprise level stuff.

Solution

dovedescent7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

Excellent answer. Thank you

sonofjesse

Distinguished
1. Ethernet is your answer. I don't know why this wouldn't be you go too, connect them up to a cheap 1GB switch and start moving data.

2. take HD out of one machine Usb 3.1 dock and dump it straight into he machine.

Either way should get you what you want.

jasonf2

Distinguished
There are some usb and thunderbolt transfer cables available, but they are not that reliable and you have to use their included software to make the transfer. They are not that expensive but getting them to work has been iffy in my experience and usually OS dependent. I am with everyone else here what you are describing is what a network adapter is designed to do. If you are needing higher than 1 gigabit you can push about anything your drive can put out if you want to pay for it. Also if you are wanting to point to point all you need is a crossover cable (one side A and the other side B) and you can communicate without a switch. Drivers and protocols are already cooked into the OS and standardized enough that you can use any of the basic stack to communicate between anything. Even if security is an issue for some reason you can still localize the physical network and it is no different than a usb connection. Ethernet doesn't have to connect through a router. Just restrict the subnet and set both computers in a working Ip metric and they talk just fine.

There are some usb and thunderbolt transfer cables available, but they are not that reliable and you have to use their included software to make the transfer. They are not that expensive but getting them to work has been iffy in my experience and usually OS dependent. I am with everyone else here what you are describing is what a network adapter is designed to do. If you are needing higher than 1 gigabit you can push about anything your drive can put out if you want to pay for it. Also if you are wanting to point to point all you need is a crossover cable (one side A and the other side B) and you can communicate without a switch. Drivers and protocols are already cooked into the OS and standardized enough that you can use any of the basic stack to communicate between anything. Even if security is an issue for some reason you can still localize the physical network and it is no different than a usb connection. Ethernet doesn't have to connect through a router. Just restrict the subnet and set both computers in a working Ip metric and they talk just fine.
The crossover cable is not needed with gigabit and faster ports as they are autosensing per the specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.