News The Fastest RTX 3080 Mining Rig Is a BMW i8

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
"Just to annoy gamers"
It has obviously worked like a charm. Hahaha.
Free country and all that. Some people buy cars like that, or bullet bikes that can hit 200+ mph and never leave the city. I might be envious, but if you have the scratch, then do whatever makes you grin.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
the whole purpose of the build is to be really extra. he's got the money, the means, and the crypto so I don't see why a person can't enjoy their hobbies.
You missed my point entirely... I'm pointing out the extreme hypocrisy of his statements; I could care less about someone elses hobby and whether they enjoy it or not. He states his reason for this build was to 'troll' others, then goes on to say he enjoys crypto because its a perfect utopia of people being nice and co-opting with eachother.

You missed my point entirely... I'm pointing out the extreme hypocrisy of his statements; I could care less about someone elses hobby and whether they enjoy it or not. He states his reason for this build was to 'troll' others, then goes on to say he enjoys crypto because its a perfect utopia of people being nice and co-opting with eachother.
I don't think that "annoying gamers" was the main driving force behind him souping up a mining rig in an expensive BMW. More like he wanted to, then people asked why, more of a "why not" as an answer.

I don't think that "annoying gamers" was the main driving force behind him souping up a mining rig in an expensive BMW. More like he wanted to, then people asked why, more of a "why not" as an answer.
I assume the whole thing was done for publicity, and he's already pulled the rig out of the BMW. Running a 6-GPU rig inside a $150K car long-term just isn't a useful project. It could be done, he did it, he took a picture. Now he can pull it all apart and move on to the next stunt.

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
Well, yes and no.
The article itself can only bother you if you allow it.
The actions of the reported individual however, have practical consequences in the lives of those trying to acquire a GPU at fair value. So I believe it is more than fair to not just tolerate it as "it being what it is".

And in my opinion you are entitled to hold that view. I don't. I will not apply "the double standard rule" to you since I don't know you.

What I will say is:

If a person runs a company and they answer to the board of directors and shareholders, or other owners (in a family owned business) the vast majority of people will sell to whoever and whatever market they can to make the most money for the stock/profits/investments. That is called business. It is normal for a business to sell where they can make the most money. The money is needed to continue the business and upgrade, especially in the technology sector. Go price a fab and fab upkeep. It's ridiculously expensive. The average "Joe" can live awhile without the latest and greatest. That state of being can kill a business.

I am waiting for a 5900X and a new graphics card myself. I can wait. It isn't that important in the end.

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
Well, yes and no.
The article itself can only bother you if you allow it.
The actions of the reported individual however, have practical consequences in the lives of those trying to acquire a GPU at fair value. So I believe it is more than fair to not just tolerate it as "it being what it is".

That person has every bit as much right as you do to purchase products and use them as they see fit and/or as the law allows. They got there first. They can show it off and rub it in your face, metaphorically speaking. It's up to you to decide to let it bother you or not. You are supposed be in control of your reaction.

To me it is a lightly comical gesture. This person knows someone is going to get bent out of shape by it. Thus, he baits them and then gets a good laugh. I can appreciate the humor in this.

When the products becomes more readily available, I intended on upgrading. If I buy the last one a second before you do, does that make me a bad person? It's supply and demand and who is in line first with the cash in hand, gets the precious. No sense in being a sourpuss. It isn't the end of the world.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
he lives in Las Vegas, Texas, where electricity is produced mainly with coal.

so that "green Tesla" would be powered by coal. not as sexy huh.
I own a pluggable car myself, but i made this choice because 100% of the electricity where i live comes from renewable sources (giant dams north of Québec)

For the same reason, i think isntalling a mining farm in LasVegas (in the middle of the desert, where coal has to be burned to feed the Air Conditionning too !) is a really bad move for the planet.
I expect most people -- who brag about themselves and what they've got with the intention of dumping on other people -- to have the latest and greatest everything. An i8 is just old news. This person really needs a Taycan. Seriously, get with the times! ;)

And I agree with you about the supposed greenness of plug-ins and operating electricity-demanding objects in coal power regions. I won't hesitate to say that I drive a coal car. I drive a Model 3 specifically because I hate stealerships, it's fast, and it's quiet. Greenness wasn't a priority.
Either way. It's spot on behavior for an owner of either brand. At least from my experience dealing with either brand owner. I don't think the word "douchy" accurately covers it. LOL.
I once had a nice, friendly, and considerate roommate who decided he wanted to upgrade from a Honda to a BMW as a reward for career advancement. That BMW was constantly broken, in the shop, or disabled on the road. We joke that the BMW rejected him for not being a big enough jerk or aggressive enough driver. You don't buy a BMW -- the car chooses owners of a certain attitude!

For Tesla, I think it depends on where you live. Here, all the nerds and geeks have 3's and Y's. Nearly everyone with an X falls into your "douchy" category though.

Reactions: VTXcnME

AtrociKitty

Reputable
Apr 23, 2020
Running a 6-GPU rig inside a $150K car long-term just isn't a useful project.

So this isn't a new idea, and it actually does have a practical application. In short, it was for free electricity. You'd fill your EV with mining gear, park it somewhere with a free charger, and enjoy the reduced running costs.

woot

Distinguished
Most gamers who see this will be more perplexed and befuddled than annoyed...especially because he needs to keep the rear hatch open to prevent overheating, which means he cant drive the car while mining....what a total 🤡.

Lets hope he doesn't get rear ended by another tailgating BMW driver.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
he lives in Las Vegas, Texas, where electricity is produced mainly with coal.

so that "green Tesla" would be powered by coal. not as sexy huh.
I own a pluggable car myself, but i made this choice because 100% of the electricity where i live comes from renewable sources (giant dams north of Québec)

For the same reason, i think isntalling a mining farm in LasVegas (in the middle of the desert, where coal has to be burned to feed the Air Conditionning too !) is a really bad move for the planet.
How can anyone justify burning Megawatts of power to mine imaginary tokens that I hope will be worth nothing in the future. Maybe countries will make their own coins. Or this is how the New World Order gets a universal currency.