The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable.

Arielzhou

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
I keep getting this error message in the event viewer "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility."

After running chkdsk in cmd I get the following:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is W7OSHDD.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
85760 file records processed.
File verification completed.
164 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
2 EA records processed.
44 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
64 percent complete. (98213 of 122896 index entries processed)
Error detected in index $I30 for file 60627.
Error detected in index $I30 for file 60627.
122896 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Solution
Hey there, @Arielzhou!

I'd strongly recommend backing up all your data from that HDD somewhere else first! This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss! Afterwards, attempt to use your HDD manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic utility to see what is the health and SMART status of the drive.
You should also make sure you run the Command prompt as Administrator before running CHKDSK. However, I'd advise you to leave that test for later. First, make sure you check on the SMART status of your hard drive.

Keep us posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD
are you running it from a command prompt?if so then

chkdsk /f

if your running from within windows select the check box to fix errors before hitting start scan.

that will tell check disk attempt to fix the problems it is finding.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!warning though that this can cause data loss(though it might already be lost anyways) when it fixing the drive.

Hey there, @Arielzhou!

I'd strongly recommend backing up all your data from that HDD somewhere else first! This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss! Afterwards, attempt to use your HDD manufacturer's brand-specific diagnostic utility to see what is the health and SMART status of the drive.
You should also make sure you run the Command prompt as Administrator before running CHKDSK. However, I'd advise you to leave that test for later. First, make sure you check on the SMART status of your hard drive.

Keep us posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution