The Final Three: Sub-$100 Cases For Your Gaming Build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

I am curious why you say that. Mostly because a computer case should be a box that holds parts together well, and has good airflow, and everything else is a gimmick. Even if it has paper thin walls if it works without failing or making a racket, nobody should care.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

The Corsair 200R has been as low as $30 after rebate on multiple occurrences and would be the recommended mid-tower purchase if you can get it at this price.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I care. If you like $30 cases that collapse if you set something heavy on them, scratch if you toss a cell phone on them, twist so easily that you can't make them sit flat, and lose all the threads in the screw holes when you swap your graphics card, go for it.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

I am sorry, but you seem to misunderstand my message. I was emphasizing this part. " Even if it has paper thin walls IF IT WORKS WITHOUT FAILING OR MAKING A RACKET. These examples you give are good examples of cases that fail.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

Do any of the reviewed cases exhibit any of these issues?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I pinched and scraped my fingers on the GX getting the break-out slot covers out without tools, because using the tool slots caused the whole panel to twist.

Excellent work. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Proving once again why tomshardware is the best for reviews.

phate1337

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
where is the CM K280? now that's a budget case with a lot to offer. comes in cheaper than this lot too. decent cable management, USB 3.0, screwless bays (like everything nowadays), fits even a 7990 GPU in. so come on, where is the review?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cooler Master sent the Scout 2 Advanced instead of the K280.

I have to say I agree with the verdict somewhat, that is if case is flimsy even if it has good performance it is not necessarily a winner. Then again for me looks is as well an important factor along with sturdiness.

looks like a tiny bit of info in the introduction(top of the first page of this article) may have gone unnoticed by a few people.
As a reminder, we focused on the value market, setting a price cap of $100 and warning the 28 companies we invited that quality would be a major consideration.
TH invited vendors to participate in the case roundup. it was up to the vendors themselves to choose to participate and send the cases fitting the conditions. so asking "why <insert brandname and model number> case is not in the round up" should really be directed towards the vendors.

for the roundup, i was rooting for rosewill r5 and the antec gx700. my caveats with the ostrog are that it doesn't have side fan mounts and it's power and reset buttons are on the top. power and/or reset button on the top of a case, without any safety covering, is like asking for trouble. i am just nitpicking, the case does a lot of other things right.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
While I personally don't like front-panel stuff on the top panel, I realize that enough readers do like these things that I don't even consider it in my overall evaluation.

That1Guy2, vendors decided what cases, if any, to send. If you had read the article, you would know this.

Future comments concerning specific cases not being reviewed (asking for a future review is of course ok) which indicate the article was not read will be deleted as off-topic to the discussion.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

Hey, its a new type of spam! I was getting tired of the usual great stories of your aunt's friend's ex-husband's brother's laptop money scheme. Or the free beats by dr. dre. Or the replies to nobody above. Or the obvious usernames. Oh wait.

Pizza1337

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
This is a great article. It's mentioned that in the G1 a 10.5" wide board would barely fit, but standard is 12"(width) x 9.6"(depth). It might be a silly question, but would a 12" x 8" board fit than? This article sold me on the G1, as long as my mobo can fit!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It is a silly question :) But only because the lingo of ATX specs makes the mistake of assuming a motherboard will lay down. I make the safer assumption that people reading a tower case review will stand their case up, so the spec's "width" becomes 12" tall (in a tower) and and its "depth" is 9.6" wide.

BF4Shifty

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I used to have the CoolerMaster Scout and I loved it. My only problem was the size....once I started to mod the case and put in two 7950's it just got a little to cramped in my opinion. I like to have a spacious clean look to the inside of my PC. Oh and I wish they made the side clear panel a bit bigger and more like the InWin

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just a matter of interpretation, I try to describe things visually from the angle the picture was taken. I'm sure I've been blacklisted by the ATX forum or whatever :)

Status
Not open for further replies.