The First DirectX 11 Game is BattleForge

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I am still sitting on the fence about goinf to DX11 or not myself. For the cost of 1 5800's series card I can have several of the 4800 series. GPGPU is still along way off from being effective at anything I believe. Hardware dont matter without the software written for it

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
ARE YOU LISTENING, NVIDIA! I hope so. I've been a supporter since you absorbed my beloved 3DFX; but now, the Radeon HD 5850/5870 is starting to look DAMN good!

thartist

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Yes, you've said it many times before, but good news for the dx11 patch for it.
Hope we see better performance (based) on DX11 than with DX10 for every game, not just based on the polish to this particular game with this patch.

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Am I the only one underwhelmed by Tesselation in DX11. More polygons arent even going to be noticeable unless youve got really high resolutions and textures. The promise of more consistent framerates has me intrigued, but ive got a superclocked 4850 that i believe will hold out for me until Nvidia drops the GTX380, if not longer.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
[citation][nom]mcnuggetofdeath[/nom]Am I the only one underwhelmed by Tesselation in DX11. More polygons arent even going to be noticeable unless youve got really high resolutions and textures. [/citation]

>_> thats why you crank up the resolution up to 1920x1200 (and have a big monitor)

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Wow and come to think of it, directx10 doesn't have a high attach rate afaik right now. DX11 can only be slower :) But on the other hand it is good to see progress.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]sythix[/nom]Jellico, nv is cranking out the new fermi card soon, it's supposed to blow away the 5870.[/citation]
I certainly hope so. Because it wasn't that long ago that we heard this:
"DirectX 11 by itself is not going be the defining reason to buy a new GPU," said Mike Hard, vice president of investor relations at Nvidia.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
And so it begins. Now I just need a USB 3.0 mobo to be release and I'm starting a new PC build. My socket 939 rig needs an upgrade.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
At 1920x1200, you still don't see the polygons too much. In a good game, you don't see it enough to think: Sheesh, look at that, I wish there was more polygons. They are not noticable.

crazymech

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I'm curious why you release this news now, while this was already released and mentioned in a good ton of 5870 reviews I've read.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]At 1920x1200, you still don't see the polygons too much. In a good game, you don't see it enough to think: Sheesh, look at that, I wish there was more polygons. They are not noticable.[/citation]
New technology overlapping current technology is what makes games and the hardware race (nvidia vs ati, intel vs amd) so fascinating. Soon monitor manufacturers will be forced to crank up the engineers to make even higher resolutions to help show off all the polygons and details in dx11. You just have to love this "SPORT"!

boomwav

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
To anyone that think tessellation is useless, I'd put a brake right now. Tessellation is already widely used but done by CPU. Hardware tessellation will be even more powerful. Terrain at a distance will be of higher quality (remember oblivion at a distance?).

Right now, you might not see the need, however even with DirectX 10, the addition of the extrusion shaders will open the door to really powerful visual like knots in tree that will be more than just shadow trick.

DirectX 11 open the way to hardware physics that are platform independant. I'm not even talking about the new Shader language that will help the developpers make new powerful shaders. It will be easier to reuse shader now, this mean that we'll start to see even more incredibly impressive shaders that will only get better and better over time.

If people adopt it fast enough, it'll be the start of a new era in gaming. It's not even funny. If not, we'll eternally drag three generation of progress for years. Which is not something anybody wants.

Speedtree goodness:
http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch04.html

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Wow, the comments are bugged here. I never hit "submit" and it posted those words when I clicked "log in" at the top of the screen. FFS Tom's, please fix this.

At any rate, I AM also underwhelmed. Wasn't tessellation/n-patches supposed to be "the new big thing" in DirectX 8? I remember hearing nVidia boasting about it and Morrowind back in like 2002. Then it was boasted about in DX 9. Then 9.0c. Then DirectX 10. Then DirectX 10.1. And now DirectX 11? I just skip over it when I see it.

Yes, it does all look good, but the price for the 5870 is a little hard to swallow. I guess $260US for a 5850 is somewhat acceptable, though, but seeing that you can get a pair of 4850s for less than $200US now... It might be a little bit of a hard sell, especially when a single 4850 or 4870 is plenty enough for most that don't have a CrossFire-capable board.

As far as the GTX 300 series, is there anything even known about them? I started to have some shaken faith in nVidia when I saw a comment from them along the lines of "GPGPU is the future for high-end GPUs, not gaming." If they really believe that, I have my doubts that as a card, the GT300 series will be competitive with the 5800 series. nVidia just might go with a smaller GPU that will only be relatively incremental over the GTX 285, compared to the roughly doubling we saw with the 5800 vs. the 4800.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Another side of the tessellation that I think everyone is missing is that it should allow us to render the current quantity of polygons with less overhead helping to take the load off the GPU a little. So it might give you more frames per second rendered for the same games you already play. Which if this is true it would be nice.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]...As far as the GTX 300 series, is there anything even known about them? I started to have some shaken faith in nVidia when I saw a comment from them along the lines of "GPGPU is the future for high-end GPUs, not gaming." If they really believe that, I have my doubts that as a card, the GT300 series will be competitive with the 5800 series. nVidia just might go with a smaller GPU that will only be relatively incremental over the GTX 285, compared to the roughly doubling we saw with the 5800 vs. the 4800.[/citation]
Could you do some research before making a comment. 90% of the comments here is already AMD/ATI fanboyism; we really don't need you to spread false rumors.

Check out this article so you know Nvidia's approach to next gen GPU
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3651

I know people here like underdogs (Intel vs. AMD, Nvidia vs. ATI) but some of the stuffs said are pure non-sense from a logical and technical point of view. I wish people would wait until actual review from Tom’s and Anand’s before making a claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.