The Graphics Card That Cleans Itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Glad to see this issue start to be addressed. It's very common and a pain for nearly everyone. This really should be applied to laptop fans as well.

I'm no expert in cooling here, but 30 seconds could be a long time for the Video Card to have it's cooling capabilities reduced... I mean, since you're making the air go out, I'm guessing the airflow won't be enough to keep the card cooled of at startup (100% clocks and mem).

Anyone knows if my supposition is correct or not? :p

Anyway, it seems like a nice try to solve that simple irritating little problem :p

Cheers!

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
its a clever idea but not really a necessity.. as long as all the case's intake fans have a filter (which is easily done..) there will be no dust on the graphics card..:)

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Dyson needs to design a computer case with quiet cyclone technology. It could have a canister in one of the 5.25 drive bays that gets dumped out every few days...

therandomuser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Make it so that the fan will do the cleaning after a long/set amount of time at idle. That will allow people like me who leave their PCs on to have that sweet looking tech.

G

[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]I'm no expert in cooling here, but 30 seconds could be a long time for the Video Card to have it's cooling capabilities reduced.[/citation]
Yeah, but I'm sure there's a sensor so that if the core starts being loaded the card will bail out of the reverse mode and switch to normal operation. Or if there isn't some MSI engineers need to grab some frisbees and commit seppuku.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
For those of us that average a reboot once every 90+ days this might not be useful.
Also if there is humidity involved I question if the dust would be so easily dislodged.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]I'm no expert in cooling here, but 30 seconds could be a long time for the Video Card to have it's cooling capabilities reduced...[/citation]
No problem whatsoever. The thermal mass of the heat sink can easily absorb this heat if it starts out at room temperature.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
si for 90% of radeons cards this will not work right, seens they gor like a centrifuge sounds like a air ship going of. good cooling at the prise of loud

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]I'm no expert in cooling here, but 30 seconds could be a long time for the Video Card to have it's cooling capabilities reduced... I mean, since you're making the air go out, I'm guessing the airflow won't be enough to keep the card cooled of at startup (100% clocks and mem).Anyone knows if my supposition is correct or not? Anyway, it seems like a nice try to solve that simple irritating little problem Cheers![/citation]
Since this is only used (as far as I know) on their Twin Frozr III heatsink, I'd day that it can nearly run cooler than a reference cooler with the fan in reverse ALL THE TIME, let alone just for 30 seconds to clean itself. Now, that was an exaggeration... or maybe not... but either way, you get the point. The Frozr III cooler should be more than capable of handling things. :D
/MSI Fanboy

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The only problem is that most dust that builds up on a heatsink tends to also get heated and in tern caked onto the heatsink,making it hard for even a vacuum cleaner hose or can of compressed air to remove, so imagine how well a weak fan will do.

Like someone else said, a good air compressor is a worthwhile investment. Every homeowner should have one anyway for their vehicles, great for general cleaning up around the garage, and tools like nail guns.

I use my compressor regularly for cleaning up the pc and components. Several models are available and small enough for apartments as well.

If moisture is a concern, there's an attachment to your compressor's hose that catches any outgoing moisture.

Where I live, you have to either cover your car, or wash it 3x a day just to keep it nice. Even with filters on the intakes, it still gets in there.

Unless MSI's system is really quiet, you won't be impressing anyone when you start up your pc. You might scare them instead hehehe

G

Agreed, it won't remove baked on dust, just a marketing ploy. Takes all of 10 minutes to do a thorough HSF removal and deep cleaning followed by TIM replacement.

icebug

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Seriously, with SSD tech where it is now my computer cold boots in less than 45 seconds. I turn my computer off at night when I'm sleeping and then turn it on when I wake up. By the time I get back from the bathroom I'm good to go. just because the air is moving in a different direction doesnt mean it wont be providing some airflow for the cooler still though, that's actually half the idea of course...

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I have to say that he hit the nail on the head... I don't turn my computer off much. I think it only happens when an update asks for it, or when the power goes out... Both of whitch have become rare these days.

Would be better if it picked up on a point where the thermals where low and reversed based on a daily time, or something like that...

G

Filters are a much better way to deal with dust. Preventative measures are a far more worthwhile investment. My 3 year old Antec P180 looks like a 2-month old gaming machine when it comes to dust. Very minimal collection and only in the crevices (none on the fans) and its because of the intake filters. Dust is such an important factor for me that the first thing I look for in a computer case are dust filters.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Not to bash smokers but as a ex smoker, sticky tar and such can really gum up the insides of a computer over time. The tar filled smoke acts like glue for dust.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
How about a damn filter for PC's. Make a case that's sealed and has ONE large entry point with a hepa filter on it. Clean it regularly - no more dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.