The hardest video game ever?!

So apparently the hardest game is this one called "Dark Souls", made by Japanese game studio From Software.

Apparently, it is simply impossible to avoid dying excessively and you should expect your character to die a horrible death any time with almost no places to save a game and no pause game. If you die, level resets and you will have to kill the monsters all over again. Simply crazy!! :pt1cable:

This game is not for casual gamer. You will never finish it. Only attempt it if you are the hardcorest of the hardcorest rpg gamer and love to take on a near impossible challenge.

About myself:

I recently took the position of community reporter and one of my duty is to encourage thoughtful discussion in the sub forums in the software section. This is my first news report in the section I am reporting to. I hope everyone will have a good time reading the original article:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/10/05/is-dark-souls-the-hardest-videogame-ever/?mod=google_news_blog

as well as share your thought and experience on this game or other similar hard to beat game.

Let the discussion begin!

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Resident Evil series was really tough for me especially when the chainsaw guy appears and i had only hand gun ammo left with me.

Forgot to add Fallout 3 which was really tough on hard level atleast for me!!!!!!!

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I'm going to go old school on the hardest game i think i have played and go with Prince Of Persia - The Sands of Time.
There were parts in that game that took way too many tried to get through. And at times you would get so frustrated trying you would just stop playing the game for a week or so in order to resist the urges to trow your controller through the TV.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

LOL, i actually still have it, and still have not finished. I just finally gave up and moved on to another game.

dark souls isnt supposed to be impossible, and dying is only as often as the player is careful; if you run around and slash you will die. It is completely about using the skills you have and being patient to beat your enemies.... honestly it sounds satisfying

Sands of Time is old school? Whoa, I must be ancient. I've beat that many times, and it's always fun for a quick run-through. The game itself isn't so challenging as sometimes dealing with camera that doesn't always present the best view of the action.

Thing is, "hard" and "difficult" can come in many different forms. There's "Nintendo Hard" where the game mechanics themselves were just completely unforgiving. Miss a jump, you die. Touch those spikes, you die. Touch an enemy, game over. If you're going for that, I believe Rygar is often considered the most difficult game ever since you have one life, no saves, and no continues. Then again, I'd like to see someone beat the original Contra without the 30 lives cheat. The original Final Fantasy was very hard on the final levels since it was very possible to die far away from a save point ( read, local inn. )

Then you've got games that are genuinely challenging, where it's not about how much you play or how fast you can react, it's about learning to be smart and finding effective techniques to different problems.

As for Dark Souls, no, it's not impossible. Demon's Souls, it's predicessor, is one of my faves. Will you die? Yes. A lot? Yes. Like every five minutes? Only if you're stupid. Have I beat it? Yes.

Flint has it right, you have to be smart. Neither of these games are run-through hack-and-slash. The game is very unforgiving, but it also rewards the player for learning how to defeat enemies. At almost any point in the game, you can be killed by a single attack. However, you can also kill just about every enemy with a single attack as well. If you watch your enemies and learn their moves, you'll learn how to block and deflect their attacks and then counter-attack with a critical. The "hard" part goes both ways.

bygbyron3

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Ignoring bugs, faulty, and incomplete games. Disregarding games based on competition and high scores. To complete single player, of all the games I've played, the most difficult is VVVVVV.

Dark Souls is at least possible to beat without god-like reflexes, or memorizing the levels. Try beating Battletoads on the NES. A game infamous for vehicle stages that require you to memorize the courses, insanely difficult platforming and fighting, a Co-op mode that makes things even more difficult, as the players can harm each other, and thanks to a bug, the game can't be beaten in co-op mode. Even using a cheating device, it is still a considerable achievement to beat that game.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
LOL, no your not ancient RedJaron. That game is just old by todays standards. My first video game system was Pong (no joke), and we thought that was revolutionary until of course the Atari 2600 hit the scene.
As for the C64, well there were a few games i just couldn't stop playing like Bruce Lee, Rambo, Karateka, Forbidden Forest, & Impossible Mission just to name a few. Man, i thought i was king of the neiborhood when i got one of those, LOL.

Never had money as a kid for the 2600 games we wanted, but someone gave us a C64 and a big game library. Ah the days of Jumpman, Ghostbusters, Castle Wolfenstein ( the ORIGINAL, ) and Beachhead . . .

FindMyWayBack

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I have to agree with the OP. Dark Souls is ridiculous. The official tagline "Prepare to Die" is just gravy.

Its predecessor "Demon's Souls" (very awkward title) is much more groin-grabbingly frustrating.

Good game though. :D

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

I found the original Final Fantasy to be quite easy actually, outside 2 select areas (the ice cavern due to a certain enemy that likes using "rub"), and the final dungeon. Then again, having level 50 by the Terra Caverns before defeating the vampire does have its benefits. If you create 2 warriors, a red mage, and a white mage to start with, the game is very easy.

I have several hard games. Jak 2 (the first, Jak and Daxter, was quite easy), Metroid Prime (Flaagra, that rock-based boss, and one other boss took 15 tries to finally defeat (and only just barely), plus, some areas were frustratingly difficult to get through and it's this latter case that made me give up on that game (I'm at the point where there's "unusual phazon")), and the original Rayman (it's way too time consuming to get extra lives and spike-heavy levels made me otherwise give up on it) are my top 3 most difficult. My most difficult RPG I've played is Final Fantasy 5, though still, heavy powerleveling made this game not all that bad. My most difficult platformer is Skullmonkeys, but thanks to handy tricks to getting extra lives, the last few worlds were no big problem, despite losing 60 lives on the final level in the game (from temporary platforms and less predictable jumping due to moving platforms).

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

The AC series is more repetitive than difficult, imo. You end up doing the same stuff again and again and yet again.....and when you're finally near the brink, you do them yet again!! That gets pretty frustrating for me! [:aford10:1]

That apart, I still say its a darn neat game!

I didn't much like AC2. Somehow being a suave assassin that is good with the ladies dumbed down the believability factor. I felt like puss in boots the entire game

rocky41

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Well, i loved the game. Everything about the game was addicting whether it was its music, story, gameplay everything. The starting part of the game while growing up, mainly Firenze part was awesome and the puzzles were really addicting at least for me. I never played a game like that before and it felt like being a part of the game, maybe its my style of playing. but I loved it and i am very much looking forward to Revelations.