The HDD isn't detected on laptop or pc

Jun 5, 2018
Hi, so i was working on my friend's new build so we booted from my hard drive so we can try the new pc with the games and stuff so in the same day i copied some stuff form my laptop with the a power connector to the plug and one to the hdd power socket and the other part was an sata connected to the hdd and converted to usb so i can copy some stuff from the laptop and when i finished i put it back into the pc and it worked and booted AGAIN! and in the same day we bought a new ram for the new build so we shut down the pc and it was working and replaced the ram and then we started the pc the hdd wasnt detected and wasnt booting so i replaced the ram again thinking it was the reason nothing worked so i tried it on my laptop didn't work either so i checked the the hard drive if it does like my old hard drive and it makes this sound and nothing it runs perfectly with no noise or failure so why isnt it detected or booting i am building a new build today and i am kinda on a budget and i wont have enough money to get a new hdd. thanks and sorry for my bad english >.<