The HP Slate is Finally Official; It Costs $800!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]dkant1n[/nom]If I had plenty of money I would buy it if I needed something of that form-factor. But for less money you can have a netbook with keyboard and same (or more) functionality.This is for executives so they can show off their new toy, just like iPhone was at the time (now its a war)[/citation]

I think the iPad caught a lot of companies by surprise. So when it turned out to be such a success (why, I don't get myself, but oh well), they started investing like maniacs into research and development to churn out something tablet-like. This first generation of tablets will therefore be a lot more expensive as companies try to recuperate some of that frantic spending in this new device category. If tablets are here to stay (as a mainstream, general purpose computing device and not an appliance with a specific limited purpose), prices will come down soon enough when the market is swamped and true market competition takes off.

I guess they expect businesses to be willing to pay these prices, but I'm not so sure companies are all that willing – in this difficult economy – to massively jump into something as new and unproven as tablets. In this case the Apple approach probably makes more sense: entice the consumer with a fancy gadget and hope they take it with them into the workplace. Tablets seem more entertaining than productive to me...

G

This is exactly what I've wanted. I bought a convertible tablet a few years ago and have been very happy about it. I'm a PC guy, but I did look into the iPad when it came out, because this segment of the market has never gotten the attention it deserves. The lack of a stylus (call me old fashioned) and an inability to run full versions Microsoft's Excel and Intuit's Quickbooks were deal breakers for me, period.

One thing I've never understood, though, is constantly seeing comments about how Win7 won't work with touch from people who've likely never used it for touch. I'm not sure what gave them that idea that it's won't work. I can navigate around my older convertible tablet with the stylus just fine.

Lets see, I paid $113 for a iBook G3 and this is almost 8 of those. I know that tablets are more expensive to make but however the touch screens have been cheaper to make since the days of the compaq TC1100. To be honest I would like to know why besides greed why they are charging so much. I could go buy a used Fujitsu Stylistic for like $150~ ish or a Compaq TC1100 for less than one fourth the price. Cheap laptops are next in line. This will only make the under powered and still overpriced iPad more popular along with those Android tablets due to their lower final cost. More pressure on the second hand market.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Ipad is STILL not ready for enterprise environments. HP looks ready out the door. Because it's a full OS, it can take on encryption software and run all current software a business has.

I work in state government and purchasing/supporting a device like the iPad is a nightmare. You cannot centrally manage it either. What can the iPad do? That weak mobileme crap?

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
iPad can't even do SFTP, batch files, has halfassed PDF software. One of the other IT guys bought one and I said to bring it to me when it has a real use....other than just a toy.

Lynxs59

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Keep in mind this is for businesses and not for the consumer yet, I'm guessing their consumer based model with WEBOS will be a bit cheaper. However I would want the Windows 7 version. Now I wonder if get the consume based model and use my technet subscription to load Windows 7 on their would it run correctly without all the extra customizations that HP has done on top of the software (if any)?

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
As a creative professional I wont pay $800 for an Atom processor and is hard for me to justify the $600 the iPad cost. I mean $800 is not cheap and in the enterprise world the price is a bit less of a factor - if you want a creative tool. If I just need a screen, internet and a processor for presentations and videos the iPad is cheaper and includes a 9.7' IPS screen.

At $800 it starts to be not to distant from the Macbook Air (at $999) that runs OSX and probably Windows with much better processors, Core 2 at 1.4 GHz and GeForce 320M with 256 DDR3, 64 Gb of flash HD, 2 gigs of ram, good battery life, full keyboard with a trackpad and bigger 11.6' 1466 x 764 screen. OSX includes iLife to complement light office videos and presentations.

I agree with those who think the WebOS Slate could be the real thing.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Just did a quick check on the Apple site. 64GB iPad (WiFi only) - $699. Add in the case and dock (that HP includes) = $68. Then add the iPad Camera Connection Kit (replaces USB to connect a camera) = $29. Total = $796. Price difference is $3.00.

Apple has the larger screen and smooth interface, plus their apps. HP has all of the Windows programs to choose from, USB connectivity (it is important) and the ability to accept stylus input for real signatures, which can be important for some things (I know I would like that).

From where I sit, it looks pretty close. That means it's a personal choice based on what I need. Sadly, I can't really justify that I "need" either one, so I won't be getting one anytime soon. Unless either HP or Apple wants to just give me one - I'd gladly accept either. I love gadgets - really. Just ask my wife.

takapa

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Looks awful. Desktop OSs do not suit touch interfaces.

The touch to zoom was achingly slow and jerky in the video, despite the CPU being several times faster. Additionally, why do businesses need tablets? I can understand a doctor looking at patient information on a table, but when it comes to entering information, its achingly slow and remember that Windows 7 is NOT a tablet OS. It supports touch screens, but its not designed around that use-case. Android and iOS is based around touch screens so have much better ergonomics for touch screens. Not to mention, that the CPU + chipset are huge battery hogs compared to the efficient chipsets of Android/iOS phones. What's the battery life? I'd estimate 5 or 6 hours compared to 12 for the iPad.

This is not fanboyism, its just common sense. The Tablet version of Android is around the corner and v2 of the iPad will be here in 6 months. I would expect at least a dozen quality tablets with dedicated touch based OSs and full multitasking within the next year.

Tablets will be huge for consumer media consumption and in limited use-cases in business, but for the vast majority of business, they need PCs with keyboards.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Ok first of all, this is a real computer. The term tablet has seemed to confuse a lot of people here because they think iPad when they hear that term and immediately begin to compartmentalize. Lets forget the terms umpc, smartphone, netbook, tablet, etc for a little while. Think of each product as its own unique device and then buy what suites you.

We all must understand that certain aspects of a device carry more value to some customers than others. Like the guy comparing the ipad to this: "it is cheaper, lighter, bigger screen, etc.." Those were the things he obviously valued but someone can easily counter with "more power, bundled accessories, full OS, usb, sd, digitizer pen, etc.."

I would by far prefer this to an ipad. It isn't even a 2nd thought for me because they are worlds apart in terms of what they offer to me. Someone else might just see them both as devices to casually browse the web or run simple apps (although even for that I'd prefer having a full web experience that the ipad just doesn't offer) and in that case the comparison becomes vastly different for that person.

Right now I have a 12" tablet pc that I am very pleased with. I can do digital paintings on full programs such as Photoshop and Painter with an accurate and pressure sensitive pen. Essentially this tablet from HP is a smaller version of my computer without the keyboard. That would be great in some instances where I want even greater portability.

And for those of you who have never spent more than a day on a touchscreen tablet running win 7, it works decently with capacitive touch and very well with a digitizer pen.

As for the price, I'm sure you'll be able to get coupons and find sales for this thing soon enough and get it for ~$600. I paid ~$700 for my tablet pc that was supposed to cost ~$1100.

One last fun thought: You could play something like Warcraft III on the HP tablet with the included pen just fine. I do it on my tablet ;)

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
The thing for me is $800 is just waaaayyyy to expensive. You've got netbooks at $300-$400 and you can get a pretty good laptop for $700. $800 then for what? No keyboard (even a crappy one), laughable 1024x600 resolution?

Macbook Air you have a new roommate!

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
While it might've been nice to see a weaker model debut at $400-500US to truly blow away the iPad, (and perhaps the $800US model to include 3G) this is definitely starting to show that the iPad is overpriced. I mean, let's look, comparing the $799US HP Slate 64GB vs. a $699US iPad 64GB. The extra $100 gets you:

- A faster CPU. The iPad sports an ARM; the weakest architecture in use today, at only 1 GHz. The Atom z540 runs at 1.86 GHz, on a more effective architecture, thanks in part to 512KB cache and Hyper-Threading support.
- 8x as much RAM, and faster. Some forgot that the iPad's A4 sports only 256 MB of slowpoke DDR1; fine for smartphones, but definitely NOT capable of doing things a real computer would. The Slate brings us a whopping 2048 MB, that's ALSO DDR2.
- Built-in USB support. With the iPad, the ONLY connector you have is to the dock, which grants you one USB output, to uplink to a PC. The slate has a built-in USB port, letting you actually, y'know, use a peripheral with it.
- True HD video support. The iPad only supports up to 1024x720, not TRUE 720p. And if you're doing proper MP4 formats? 480p is your cap. The A4's too wimpy to handle full-out HD, as the new Apple TV has shown us. The Slate can handle 1080p.
- HDMI output. The iPad's dock gives you two output options: VGA and Composite/Component video, both analog standards, and capped to 576p (sub-HD) for it. The Slate gets a proper HDMI port, that can output full 1080p video.
- A real Operating System. Windows 7 is quite possibly the best OS out there for personal computing; it lays virtually all the jokes cracked about XP and Vista to rest, while still running whatever you want. With the iPad, you're stuck downloading tiny, Apple-approved iAps. Even if you jailbreak it, you're still stuck with the limitations of the wimpy ARM-Cortex, 1/8th the RAM, and iOS.

All in all, I'd say the HP slate is a magical, revolutionary device... At least, it deserves the title much more than Apple's iPad ever did. My only complaint is that they could've improved things to make the bargain compared to the iPad far more clear-cut. (such as by perhaps a $100US cheaper price tag, and/or perhaps weaker models)

G

i cant understand why i have been addicted to these damn tech offerings,until now! i was fooled by hype,oh and is this 1996, or 2006 all over again? the cycle continues...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-Mobile_PC

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
More impressive than the iPad from a hardware perspective, but what is with the low res screens on all tablets? It seems like at least 720p should be mandatory with these things.

didymus03

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Does anyone know anything about the gfx chip used in this thing? Anything you can compare it to in order to give a rough idea of its capabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.