Question the ideal set up

Achitophel

Reputable
Oct 7, 2020
I’ve had my old set up for the last 6 years but haven’t kept up with developments. Looking at current reviews confirms I'm a Stone Age citizen trying to get his head around this newfangled steam power!
I've got to rejoin the present. the nasty shock of failing hard drives and constant freezes, speeds a deformed snail could better - all have pointed the need for a new desktop PC.

The desired requirements are:

As small a box as possible (I’m downsizing into an apartment and space will be at a premium).

As quiet as possible.

Minimum 2 HDMI for 2 monitors

ODD cage - I need the convenience to access data on Cd and DVD.

4 x USB 3 minimum. I will often have the need to plug in several USB3 external 3.5inch HHDs

At least 2 internal racks for internal 3.5 drives (probably 6TB each)

A suitably fast speed for transferring up to 2TB of folders/files from one drive to another – int HDD to int HDD or int to ext HHDs or ext to int HHDs. Of late this was taking hours/days.

No gaming. No heavy Photoshop work but capability to do basic Photoshop type work quickly.

Budget 2 grand plus or minus a grand.

I have a retail copy on Win 7 and believe this will upgrade to win 10 and then from win10 to win11?

Now, if anyone has had a broadly similar need recently and has found what they think is the ideal set up, please let me know.

Equally, if you went pear shaped anywhere along the line, please let me know too! All comments will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Since ODD drives have gone out of favor, finding a small size case may be difficult. I've already prepared for this future by using this enclosure for my 1 existing drive:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCCV44?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

You also may want to consider buying one of these for the future, which I also bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079LTC6ML?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Also if you anticipate heavy use of those external usb3 drives you may want to consider a powered external usb3 hub. A hub with its own power supply would be less stressful on your motherboard's usb3 system.