The Input Club: Meet The Guys Looking To Disrupt The Keyboard Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobear

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
All of that is icing on the cake. What's needed is a completely new input method to replace a rectangular array of 106 keys. Back at the beginning of personal computers, I saw a device that was a hemisphere, like an oversized mouse. There was a key under each finger. You entered data by pressing the keys in different combinations and never had to lift your hand from the device. Of course, you had to learn an entirely new system of "typing"...but I'm only using this to illustrate the level of innovation that's really needed. Not new key switches and fancier lighting.

Doggie314

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
ducky keyboards are the best i have ever used
will be hard for you to improve on my blues, greens and browns from cherry but good luck

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Very nice initiative!
I wonder what their take is on the stroke length on the switches?!

I'm still using Logitech UltraX keyboards both at home and at work due to having a hard time finding a similiar compact, quality feel and short stroke equivalent.
The office keyboard has gotten dimples in the keys out of wear and the one control key has totally collapsed since I tried to remove and clean it.
I got a new SteelSeries Apex M500 home for evaluation (typing on it now), and it's a nice keyboard I guess, but I'm having a hard time getting over the stroke length.
I'm literary stumbling over the keys; 2mm actuation, why?

I can understand gaming if you have your finger set; you could hoover those 2mm, +/- 0,5mm, press/release. But keyboards are not type-writers.

I guess the optimal would be the shortest stroke possible, with a tactile feedback depressing/releasing the key, and the the tactile feedback of finding the keys when repositioning. Unless you think touch-screen typing on your phone is the best thing that ever happened. Yuk!

Status
Not open for further replies.