The Legendary Apple II Turns 35 Years Old

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Such low specs forced programmers to be super efficient with their code if they wanted to accomplish anything great. And think of the computers way before this ... there is a reason back in the day you had to practically be a genius to even stand next to one the hulking giants that took up entire rooms.

Now I'm afraid most people don't know anything about computers other than it's the thing that connects them to the internet. Sad.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I had an Apple IIC for ten years. I did the local rural fire department's by-laws on it using pin-fed dot matrix printer. I fondly remember playing Lemonade Stand on that machine as well. When I finally sold it to someone else and turned it on to show him it still worked, I was surprised to find how unresponsive the mouse was. Over the years my eye hand mouse coordination must have improved for my current mouse is cursor will cover the entire screen area with a simple movement with the heel of my hand on the table. Times have changed. I remember that machine had 128K of ram in it.

[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Such low specs forced programmers to be super efficient with their code if they wanted to accomplish anything great. And think of the computers way before this ... there is a reason back in the day you had to practically be a genius to even stand next to one the hulking giants that took up entire rooms. Now I'm afraid most people don't know anything about computers other than it's the thing that connects them to the internet. Sad.[/citation]

Back in the day of these early computers, I actually found it a lot easier. Sure you had to be very efficient with code, and even embed some assembly language inside your C, but everything was also a lot more straight forward.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]What about the Apple IIe?[/citation]
The IIe is only about 30 years old.. This is the one my elementary school had.. I remember playing Number Munchers and Oregon Trail for hours and hours on those things..

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]...you had to be very efficient with code, and even embed some assembly language inside your C...[/citation]
Are we still talking about the Apple II here? There was a cruddy C compiler for the IIgs (Orca/TML C) but otherwise EVERYTHING was written in assembly language on that beast, aside from those who used Applesoft BASIC. There were a few pascal compilers as well, but still, assembly was the vast majority of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS