The MAGIC W3 Microcomputer Fits in Your Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"To make Windows 7 Home Premium even manageable on such a small form factor, the MAGIC W3 will come with a custom UI "

Translation: the UI will sorta work if you're using it as a phone or running the shell, but you'll be FUCKED the moment you try to fire up an app that isn't specifically created for this platform. Sorta shoots the purpose of desktop / phone integration...

BTW, haven't things like this been available for years - with essentially ZERO traction in the market? To me, this looks like a netbook without the convenience of a physical keyboard and a smaller display.

cphorn15

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
[citation][nom]realwindoesftl[/nom]"To make Windows 7 Home Premium even manageable on such a small form factor, the MAGIC W3 will come with a custom UI "Translation: the UI will sorta work if you're using it as a phone or running the shell, but you'll be FUCKED the moment you try to fire up an app that isn't specifically created for this platform. Sorta shoots the purpose of desktop / phone integration...BTW, haven't things like this been available for years - with essentially ZERO traction in the market? To me, this looks like a netbook without the convenience of a physical keyboard and a smaller display.[/citation]

It's what's known as a umpc (ultra mobile pc) and yeah, there is almost no market for this kind of thing.

Price-performance for these things such. You don't get them for performance, you get them for utility, and this is already being satisfied by the tablet and smartphone industry.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Where this could be cool is in combination with docking station, full monitor and keyboard support. Thus you go home and your phone is your computer rather than a phone that can sync with a computer.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]This is rubbish. There was already a Windows XP phone previously. Anyone owns that??? No?? There.[/citation]
And people failed at making tablets before. did people previously own tablets before iPad? No. And that seemed to break

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I rather have a full desktop linux than windows. Easier to customize as far as putting it on the phone goes. Better yet, scratch the phone all together. I rather have more portal PCs on the market than phones.

catchercradle

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
If I get given one it will have linux on it pdq. A friend tells me that on the atom it is worth using Gentoo as it compiles the kernel without all the 64 bit stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.