The Matrix Can Be Tested: Do We Live in Computer Sim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J3d1M1nD7r1cKs

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
...What kind of article is this? I mean what the hockey sticks? (Toms)?

I'm not alluding to being propagandist, but Toms, what the heck is going on?
Where's the quality control?

J3d1M1nD7r1cKs

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
This is beyond garbage.
No, really?! This article.... what.. the.. heck.. Some guy saw a kid science project and decided this was news for Toms? Where is the merit of this..... article?

?!?!?!!????

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Don't want to sound too off on this, but how does one really know whether or not we are a sim? No matter how much you try and think about it the possibility is always there.

This thinking in my opinion should not be considered foolish, but I do believe that it should be taken very lightly and not too ver thought.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]J3d1M1nD7r1cKs[/nom]This is beyond garbage. No, really?! This article.... what.. the.. heck.. Some guy saw a kid science project and decided this was news for Toms? Where is the merit of this..... article? ?!?!?!!????[/citation]

It's a respectable hypothesis. If humanity is (or will be) able to create convincing simulations, statistically it's extremely likely we're already living inside one. Not that it's likely to have any practical applications, but that's philosophy for you.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Relax folks, there are scientists that have tons of more information about the natural occurring universe then any of us combined and yet they still believe in something more, from a controller of laws to a simulated universe to holographic information.

Then you with your google knowledge about the universe goes "Psh morons they don't know jack, this is a joke".

This article was posted on a lot of "science" websites because yes - it is a possibility. It even made it to TV because of the whole "black hole displays an objects information on its event horizon" as if it is a holographic universe.

There are trillions of possibilities as to why this all exists.. I mean christ, it exists.. From absolutely nothing to existence, where did all the energy come from to allow the big bang to exist?

Don't sit back, cross your arms and think you're better than everyone by going "Foolish, this is garbage" Because you're only fooling yourself.

There is so much mysterious shit that we will never understand.

G

This has been, and still is, a very important topic in philosophy. The roots go back to Descartes. Look up "Brain in a vat".

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]J3d1M1nD7r1cKs[/nom]This is beyond garbage. No, really?! This article.... what.. the.. heck.. Some guy saw a kid science project and decided this was news for Toms? Where is the merit of this..... article? ?!?!?!!????[/citation]
Not sure what you're talking about, this isn't exactly a kids science project. But it also isn't exactly 'news'. I read an article about this study months ago. There's got to be a limit to how late you can publish a story and still refer to it as news.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]J3d1M1nD7r1cKs[/nom]...What kind of article is this? I mean what the hockey sticks? (Toms)? I'm not alluding to being propagandist, but Toms, what the heck is going on?Where's the quality control?[/citation]

Its called a filler article. Get over it and enjoy its silliness! Besides there are so many unexplained things out there that I would not rule it out even though it is highly unlikely....lol.

nolarrow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
So.... like... civilization iv?

Cuz I don't want to live in the global nuclear war scenario I create every time I fire that game up.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Relax folks, there are scientists that have tons of more information about the natural occurring universe then any of us combined and yet they still believe in something more, from a controller of laws to a simulated universe to holographic information.Then you with your google knowledge about the universe goes "Psh morons they don't know jack, this is a joke".This article was posted on a lot of "science" websites because yes - it is a possibility. It even made it to TV because of the whole "black hole displays an objects information on its event horizon" as if it is a holographic universe.There are trillions of possibilities as to why this all exists.. I mean christ, it exists.. From absolutely nothing to existence, where did all the energy come from to allow the big bang to exist?Don't sit back, cross your arms and think you're better than everyone by going "Foolish, this is garbage" Because you're only fooling yourself.There is so much mysterious shit that we will never understand.[/citation]
If we exist in a superimposed state, then we may never find out.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
They made a movie about this back in 1980, "Simon" starring Alan Arkin. Though the premise was about trying to convince a psychologist and the public that he, Simon, was an alien, the underlying theme was what happens when you give a bunch of scientist an unlimited amount of money with no supervision.

Looks like that's what's happening these days. Scientists are desperately trying to find a justification for their existence in academia. Come up with the most off-the-wall idea and academia will fund a research project on it . . . small wonder tuition has become prohibitive, they're wasting money on inane, ill-considered research projects which don't actually advance human knowledge.

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Another movie was "The 13th Floor, where *spoilers* they actually do run virtual simulations, and one of the simulations ends up making their own simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.