The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 253 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImDaBaron

Admirable
May 26, 2014

I liked quite a few of their products too...I guess we'll see what happens shortly with the company

I have owned some zalman parts over the years. Hope they can recover.

Old A64 system had the zalman cpu vga and chipset cooler as well. That slim fan lives on to this day in my media centers power supply :)
ibjozs.jpg

Later had a fan controller from them as well
2z6d0uw.jpg

I have more things, but at this time not too much came close for performance and quieter operation(with low speed adapters).

g-unit1111

Titan

So glad multi colored motherboards and PSUs are a thing of the past, I love the more streamlined looks of the modern two-tone color schemes much better.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah much easier to build around a color scheme than it used to be. Like this system I priced on PC Part Picker has a nice black / orange color scheme:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($177.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($185.57 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($569.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($569.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H440 (Orange/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($184.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $2550.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-07 14:28 EST-0500

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I drove my mom to the Acura dealership to pick up her car (2013 MDX) Walked inside the dealership, and saw the new TLX. I walked up to it, and looked around the car, this car looks really nice. Sat inside, and I'm seriously in love with it.

My mom drove off, I got back inside my brothers TL to drive home, and I really miss that car :(

I'm really torn between 3 cars I want, the Subaru WRX, Acura TLX V6 SH AWD, or the Honda Accord V6

The Accord v6 is the best value for money(but FWD is not as fun as AWD). I have driven all those cars. However, the honda and acura both have issues with the V6 automatics. Plagued them since the early 2000s and they are still not fixed. If you are looking at either car with a v6, get a stick, or pass on it. The auto WILL fail as soon as it is out of warranty. This is why auto v6 accords are SO cheap used.

I would buy the wrx. You can make it significantly faster than the other options with a simple I/E/flash.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Really? Wow, because I would like to learn manual, but no one in my family but my brother in law (Drives a 09 wrx sti) and my dad back in the day in Russia, knows how to drive a stick lol. Sadly, I cannot find a driving school here that teaches how to drive a manual.

Sadly, Honda doesn't offer a V6 with manual here in Canada, Same goes for the TLX.

I would pass on them then. Get the WRX, which I assume is a manual? Learning stick is very easy. Watch a youtube video, and go get in the car and drive off. I learned on a 4 speed pickup when I was 12. Took 10 mins and I was driving around the neighborhood.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Don't have a car with manual either haha, I would ask my brother in law to teach me one day, but he's usually busy, like me with work.

Lutfij

Titan
With the way the world is working now, I don't think Youtube would mislead you on learning to drive a manual shifter :lol:

Btw, its not that tough to drive a manual transmission automobile. I've found more fun driving a 5 speed ATV :)

I agree. It is MUCH more fun and engaging to drive standard. Not to mention if you buy a reasonably sporty car you will certianly wish you got a manual as soon as you learn to drive one. It really is that much better.

My whole family drives sticks. My mom with a volvo S60R, my Dad with his bikes/s2000/4cyl accord, every car I have owned was a standard. The only car we have with an auto is the minivan and no one dives it except for trips to and from dropping me and my sister off at college.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Ah, lucky lol. I just texted him about how he learned, he told me to just buy the WRX or anything else, and spend the day with it. I think that's a bit to risky, because what happens if I don't like it? My dad might be able to help me.

Yep, that is 100% the right answer.

You won't like it at first. You will regret buying it, and be upset. After a week, you will feel dumb for even thinking that and love the car so much. That is just how it works. You will 100% be much happier/ better off owning the standard.

g-unit1111

Titan

That TLX is a sweet car. If I could afford it I'd get one, I'd also consider the Kia Cadenza and Chevrolet Impala in that class.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah true Stephen Colbert has been poking a lot of jokes at GM's expense. :lol:

They made a public statement which included something along the lines of this: "Yes we knew about the issue (cobalt ignition problem) but we have to look at this from a business perspective. If the calculated court payouts for injuries/accidents from the issue total to be LESS than the cost of fixing all the cars via a recall, no recall gets done. This is how the auto industry works. Sad but true."

Same EXACT thing with Toyota and the sticking accelerators, and Honda in the mid 2000s with the V6 automatics. Both went the "pay the lawsuits" route instead of actually doing a proper recall. Both publicly said this.

GM is making some nice cars with some miserably piss-poor build quality right now. I would not buy any GM for a while. They really have ALOT of things to work out.