The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
So like I said I can get the dell S2440l and a razer deathadder or the monitor and save more for an SSD :/ The deathadder is what Russ and Stick use right?

Update: Im proud to be the first on in the second page of this amazing thread ;)

This Is my present setup and I do need to take new pictures but I need a new camera to do it as my present camera has started malfunctioning.

My computer cooling is far from extreme when you take LN2, Dry Ice, and Phase Change cooling, into account but it is extreme to traditional radiator cooling that most of you are running.

So I offer my expertise and experience to any considering crossing over to the Dark Side and going below the ambient limitation line of your water cooling.

There's nothing worse than a huge investment in water cooling parts and components to end up with not much better cooling performance, (especially overclocking), than you had with air cooling.

We smile and put on the happy face, :) but deep down inside we had hoped for more with the water cooling investment, (been there, done that!).

I run a 3770K (not delidded), overclocked daily to 5.0ghz using the cooling I linked above, (Note: CPU-Z Sig), and what I do most with my machine is DVD creation, DJ preparation, and Gaming.

PM any questions you may have.

That said, What complete hardware computing, and cooling, that is needed for any computer setup, totally depends on what you do with it!

Ok so here are my PC parts :D I dont have the case yet so only the boxes and the parts in them :p When I Get the case and build it, ill send pics :) NOTE: A Corsair H100i Will be added to the build!
kLlPgmj.jpg

kdY6hJ8.jpg

Pco4qdi.jpg

cls27AG.jpg

9BVYAcc.jpg

QPrVuhO.jpg

79Zddtk.jpg

SPECS:

CPU : i5 4670k
CPU COOLER :Corsair H100i (coming soon)
GPU : Sapphire Toxic R9 280x 3GB 384bit
RAM : 2x4 1600mhz 8GB G.Skill X series Ram
MOBO : MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming Motherboard
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD (its in its anit shock thing)
PSU : XFX 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply
CASE : Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black WITH WINDOW (case, Still being shipped here)
FANS : Corsair AF140 red LED, Fractal design R2 140mm fan. (Two SP120 fans might come soon for the H100i)

Tell me what you think :)

That sounds like a really nice build. If I were building a Haswell rig, that mobo would be on my short list (although an Asus might win out because of Sonic Radar, which might be a big deal for me since I'm deaf in one ear).

The "short list" is an expression used for those very few products in a given class from which you would make your final selection.
I got to review the MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming board, and was sufficiently impressed by it that if my primary system weren't built in a micro-ATX case, I might have switched to it. Unlike cheap MSI boards, the VRMs barely even got warm.

Yeah MSI can make a good board. I love my Z77 MPower, my only complaint (my fault really) is that I could have sworn I saw a 2-pin temp sensor plug on this board somewhere, so I got a temp probe for my waterloop to monitor the water temperature. Well there is no 2-pin plug, I must have got confused with my Maximus V Formula I had which boasted about 5 temp headers. One next to each fan header. Oh well, I got a little $5 LED display coming that will display my temp reading now.

LOL, you don't need to add your own [.IMG] [./IMG] BBCode, IMGUR does that for you. You literally just copy and paste the BBCode link I showed you from IMGUR. That's it!

Well I can't find a whole lot of info on it. But it sounds like it has a slightly better pump and a thicker radiator.

I bet the radiator is still all aluminum construction though which is gross, but you have to cut costs somewhere I suppose.

I'm sure it's a nice monitor. I just use an inexpensive 21.5" TN LED monitor, and I've been happy with it. With the possible exception of power tool safety (although I believe he still has all his fingers and thumbs), I'm sure Stick's advice is good.

Panzer AppleHusky

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I personally use a 70" tv ^-^
IMG_4768_lzn_zps999be9d3.jpg

Nice and big for steam big picture mode.

and just to show off that little black box in the center...
1535371_492412234212068_1933464712_n.jpg

All that aside though,I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever had any experience with cable management in a case this tiny. I'd love some feedback or tips of any kind. Right now I'm interested in somehow getting rid of the excess cabling like the sata power connectors I'm not using and all this extra length that's just getting jumbled up.
1012806_492412207545404_732872085_n.jpg

Panzer AppleHusky

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
as a matter of fact I have! Though the wiring would be an absolute mess having to go through walls and up into the ceiling. That's why the tv was chosen. Though if I had the time and patience I could in theory mount a projector and one of those gigantic cinema screens. Equal parts home theater and computer nut xD

Well the PSU looks fully modular. But the extra length on the cables in use is tricky. I built in a Silverstone HTPC case once and had similar issues. I just bundled them up and tucked them away but it wasn't nearly as nice of a machine. What you could do is make your own cables. A lot of retailers sell male and female plugs, wire, crimpers, extractors, etc. That way you could leave your stock cables in tact but use them as a guide to make your own custom length cables.

Panzer AppleHusky

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
That looks to be the best option as of now. I've been watching some of Lutro0's videos on youtube and am thinking of going all out and individually sleeving and measuring each wire to make it as clean as possible. From what I can see, there are no pre-done 'kits' available for my specific psu, and the ones I'm seeing for other psu's are pretty pricey. I just may have something to do on my next break from classes now xD.

Jul 27, 2013

Lol thx... The 790 is coming out soon (I think) and should have two of the GK110 chips on one PCB instead of a single GPU like the 780 ti... Hmm. Stinks that NVidia want's to reserve 6 GB of VRAM for just the Titan...

Lutfij

Titan
Individual sleeving takes time and patience, its best to look through all the videos on Lutro0's youtube channel although I'd advise heading upto his OCN thread/artisan page and go through each video from the top.

He's very detail oriented(expected from a sleeving pro) so even newcomers, with the right tools, will get the hang of it :) If your low on patience and DIY time, then you could knock on Moddiy and look around to see if they offer any custom sleeving options for you particular PSU. I mention this because I'm involved in a mini case project (actually 4) and moddiy make custom length sleeved wires for the ST45SF-G unit I'll be grabbing in a few days time. If anyone's interested I've invested in Compact Splash ;)

So in order of appearance:
Nils/MDPC-X
Lutro0
Moddiy

Mind you, their(moddiy) stuff is nowhere close to MDPC or paracord stuff so consider yourself forewarned about quality.
* Just scoped out the V700 - that unit is awesome to work with(I think) since its full modular.

Good advice.

I'm about to start sleeving too. But I think I'm just going to get cheap 24pin, 8pin EPS, 8pin PCIe, 6pin PCIe, and an extractor tool and just add my own colors to them.

I'm putting a coolant in my loop (Mayhems X1 clear) because I want to rest assured that all the copper and nickel in my loop is going to play nicely without adding any glycol based corrosion inhibitors. Also I'm going for more of a purple hue using the same ocean blue dye and purple dye. Then my plan is get black, yellow, grey, and purple sleeving and experiment on some tasteful cables that complement the other colors in the loop without drawing too much attention to themselves. So mostly black and grey with some yellow and purple thrown in to make it all pop.

Lutfij

Titan
:non: ! Never cheap out on that end. I'd advice you to get the tools off of Lutro0's site or from MDPC-X. In fact the molex extractor tool is something you must have. Period. Skimping out on tools will:
a| hamper the workmanship of the sleeve
or
b| add more time and thus frustration to your work of art.

The next step would be to pick up connectors from moddiy and the pins/contacts from Nils, they hold better and the crimp is solid, not flimsy like the moddiy stuff. After that you can pick your choice of sleeving - either plastic(MDPC-X) or Paracord/Macord or Lutro0's own brand.

There's one more bit of info, Lutro0 just teamed up with Frozencpu so you can pull your purchases from them. Look on the top left hand corner and you can find his microsite/page link.

The last thing you'll need to wrap everything together is to get the sleeving comb(also on FCPU) and it saves you the trouble of braiding/stitching your sleeved wires to train them.

Hope that helps.
:)

* to add to the above, you also need to consider your PSU unit and the cable lengths. Nothing is more frustrating when you run short of supplies in the middle of your build.