The metal part of my USB port gives me a minor electric shock!

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017
I get a minor electric shock(not major) from the metal part of my usb port..even the metal part of my Pen drive starts to give shock! is it normal?

Solution
Also, I am posting a second time and not adding it to add emphasis to the importance of this :

If you are being shocked when touching your components, you need to go spend the few bucks to buy the multimeter and test your connections.

Failure to do so could potentially cause your computer to sustain permanent damage, and I've even seen issues where it's sparked and started fires from shorting out, which caused someone to lose their house and a few pets when their place burned down.

Moribund

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Is this a new problem? Did you make any recent changes to your computer's internal components? How about the computer case's metal parts like the back of the case? Do you get an electric shock from touching that as well? When you plug something into the USB port - does your PC automatically shut down? Is your PC plugged in through a power strip or directly into the wall socket? If through a power strip - try a different one or plug into the wall socket and see if the problem persists. If directly into wall socket - try a different wall socket preferably on the opposite wall of the house, far from the one you're using. Kashimi is right - this is a grounding issue. You need to narrow down - whether the problem is with the computer (like a faulty power supply) or with your AC outlet/power bar/power strip.

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017

No computer runs fine...this is not recent issue...im noticing this ever since i assembled new cpu... I have a UPS...so i have plugged my cpu, monitor in a ups... if grounding and earthing are same thing then im not sure if my electricity connection is grounded. but even if it is not, then dont you think That the UPS will solve this issue?

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015

Grounding is the U.S. term, Earthing is the Indian / Some European countries term. It is the same thing.

a UPS will not fix the grounding issue if the issue is coming from the outlet. You'd have to use a multimeter to see if the outlet is grounded but you can try to plug the pc in to another outlet.

You need to start at the source and eliminate back meaning check the outlet, then check the UPS, then check the PSU,

Google will show you how to check each of these units for grounding using the multimeter.

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
Also, I am posting a second time and not adding it to add emphasis to the importance of this :

If you are being shocked when touching your components, you need to go spend the few bucks to buy the multimeter and test your connections.

Failure to do so could potentially cause your computer to sustain permanent damage, and I've even seen issues where it's sparked and started fires from shorting out, which caused someone to lose their house and a few pets when their place burned down.

Solution

amit.rudy

Reputable
Sep 21, 2017

I will have my connection grounded asap! thnx!