The Motorola X Android Phone Waterproof Feature Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
wow... with wireless MHL standard becoming mainstream as well as inductive charging, does this phone have any ports at all? that would be VERY interesting, and i could totally pass on the external storage... it looks like an amazing phone... holy cow.

imagine it used that technology that could produce sounds through glass? no speaker or microphone grills either... it could be an almost completely sealed phone! [i guess the SIM has to go somewhere]

Gamer_Pollution

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
[citation][nom]sarahatler008[/nom]Is this a legit price for this?http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGRVX0/?tag=b0009-20Looking to do gaming and use my desktop on it with my 7 series videocard..[/citation]
Wrong place to post this. Try the forum.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
"The IP57 certification only allows for water resistance up to a meter in depth, with a maximum duration of 30 minutes. "
When is the time I can get more than this spec So I can bring my phone to swimming session

tabascosauz

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
@maximus20895

I applaud your skepticism, as it seems you're the only one doubting these specs.

First of all, that 720p screen sounds sketchy. First of all, in a flagship, this should be happening. But then again, this might be more on the affordable side while offering good performance.

But what bothers me is that a 720p screen PLUS Snapdragon 800 sounds really unlikely. When the other phones that are rumored to have it are at least Galaxy Note-sized, (and we don't need to mention tablets, as they are the target products for the 800) this phone doesn't sound like it needs a Snapdragon 800 (Krait 400 + Adreno 330).

Now, I'm only thinking from an OEM perspective, because we all know Motorola, Samsung and HTC all desperately need to step up their GPU game (I mean COME ON, Adreno 320 vs SGX543MP3 and SGX554MP4 isn't even close). So it would be nice to put that Adreno 330 into the X phone.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]tabascosauz[/nom]@maximus20895I applaud your skepticism, as it seems you're the only one doubting these specs.First of all, that 720p screen sounds sketchy. First of all, in a flagship, this should be happening. But then again, this might be more on the affordable side while offering good performance.But what bothers me is that a 720p screen PLUS Snapdragon 800 sounds really unlikely. When the other phones that are rumored to have it are at least Galaxy Note-sized, (and we don't need to mention tablets, as they are the target products for the 800) this phone doesn't sound like it needs a Snapdragon 800 (Krait 400 + Adreno 330). Now, I'm only thinking from an OEM perspective, because we all know Motorola, Samsung and HTC all desperately need to step up their GPU game (I mean COME ON, Adreno 320 vs SGX543MP3 and SGX554MP4 isn't even close). So it would be nice to put that Adreno 330 into the X phone.[/citation]
There is no reason to have full HD. Much rather use the GPU-power to render content than to push invisible pixels.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Its good that its waterproof, but this is by no means a new feature. Most of the recent sony Xperia phones have the same IP57 and still have a uSD card slot. So there is no reason the X shouldn't have the slot also there is no reason that being waterproof means it has to be gorilla glass 3?

[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]There is no reason to have full HD. Much rather use the GPU-power to render content than to push invisible pixels.[/citation]
Pretty much so. Why full HD in a sub-5 inch screen? How are you gonna tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen this size?

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
-Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC with a 4.7 inch display
-1280 x 768 pixel
-4000 mAh battery

this would be the best Android phone ever made. 720p resolution is more than enough for me, no need to go 1080p.
battery life > resolutions you can't see

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]maximus20895[/nom]I wish it had a better resolution screen. I am glad to see it has the 800 in there though. I'm taking all of this with a grain of salt.[/citation]

The screen resolution is great! And with 4000 mAh batter it can really run reasonable long time. Hopefully the the SoC will come down a little bit to further increase usage time...

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]I really like the joke in the title. The waterproof feature leaked?[/citation]
I was scanning the replies so far to see if anyone addressed this. I sure hope it was a joke, because that is a very misleading title.

You can find lists of great miswritten headlines. "Workmen find bones of dinosaur that died 100 million years ago last Friday." "Sheriff kills man with hammer." "Eye drops off shelf." I've seen a book of them. Maybe we could start a thread to collect them over in News and Leisure: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1642737/poorly-written-headlines.html , and leave this poor thread alone.

Bricktop

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I'm not surprised by the waterproofing. Motorola has advertised using a water-resistant "nano-coating" on top of the electronics in their flagship phones for at least a couple of years. This certification is probably just an evolution of that technology.

Motorola has fallen behind its competitors in producing a compelling flagship phone, but they consistently produce durable and dependable phones. It will be interesting to see what comes out now that Google is in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.