Question The mouse feels like it's on 60hz even if my screen is 144hz

May 28, 2023
Just got a new pc. installed windows 11 for the first time. Downloaded a quick game (Honkai Star rail) and noticed as soon as I open up the game, the mouse feels choppy. And once I alt + tab, the mouse is smooth again.

I didn't have this problem on my old rig (gtx 970 i5 4690k windows 10 with 2 montitors)

Now I'm using rtx 4090 + i7 13700k + windows 11 etc.

The only drivers i've installed is from Geforce experience. Not sure if I should manually install the other ones too, since Windows Updates do it for you?

What refresh rate is the game running at? It could have defaulted display settings to 60hz.

Yes, you should update all drivers. You should also check the manufacturers of your components for firmware updates. Then read through the update to see if it has some hardware fix or security patch. To see if the update is worthwhile. Given the risks of a bad firmware update.

May 28, 2023
What refresh rate is the game running at? It could have defaulted display settings to 60hz.

Yes, you should update all drivers. You should also check the manufacturers of your components for firmware updates. Then read through the update to see if it has some hardware fix or security patch. To see if the update is worthwhile. Given the risks of a bad firmware update.
The game is capped at 60fps because it doesn't offer more than that. But on my old pc that I mentioned before, it wasn't that choppy, the mouse felt smooth in game and on desktop. I'll try to install all the drivers first then...

Could it be because of G-sync? because for the first time I can finally enable it, and I noticed a sentence in Nvidia control panel that says: "G-sync, G-sync compatible allows your enabled monitor to stay in sync with your games refresh rate, increasing smoothness and reducing latency."

Update: Yes, it was G-sync all along. Turned it off and the mouse was smooth in-game

Last edited:
Reactions: velocityg4