The mystery about my 1070...

Jul 26, 2018
I recently bought an Inno3D iChill GTX 1070 X4 graphics card. At the same time I bought a CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600 power supply (a 600W PSU). I'd previously been using an old 580W PSU but it only had one 4 pin CPU connector and no PCIe connectors and it looked a bit rubbish so thats why I decided to buy a new one.
I put it all together and powered it all up with the latest drivers and Geforce Experience etc, but when I tried to play CSGO it crashed. I tried several games but even Minecraft crashed my PC, so I took a look at the program called CPUID HW Monitor which made me quickly realise that the only reoccuring thing was whenever I played a game the "Powers" label under the GPU monitor part skyrocketed to 80% and 90% before crashing. Is this the percentage of the PSU its using, or is this the percentage of the overall power it can use? Who knows.
So after seeing this I went into MSI Afterburner and turned the power limit down to 50%, the graphics card worked for the benchmarks and to play the games - but was I only getting half performance out if it? I was tempted to just leave it like this but whenever I tried to livestream a game like Fortnite my computer crashed once again. (note that the temperatures of the GPU are NOT getting high).
My graphics card is currently running at (and came at) 2025 Core clock speed and 4104 Memory clock speed.

What is the issue here with my rig and how can it be fixed? Feel free to ask for any more information or to get me to do tests!

Solution
You haven't mentioned overclocking, so assuming you're running stock?

If so, yes - the card should be capable of running it's stock/factory clocks. If not, there's a problem with the card.

Ruling out driver issues then, I'd look to the PSU next. As I said, not too many reviews on it, but it's a pretty budget unit.
Do you have access to another system (or just another, quality PSU)?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What are your full system specs?

When you replaced the GPU, did you fully remove prior GPU drivers with DDU?

If not, do so. Run in safemode then reboot/reinstall.
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Yes, the GPU is using 80-90% of the power available to it. Doesn't mean it's using 80-90% of it's resources though, necessarily.

Which PSU did you pick up specifically? I'm assuming it's the MaterWatt Lite 600W? If so, that's very much a budget unit .... and I'm not aware of many detailed professional reviews on it at this point. It's still new and can barely meet 80+ certification. Couple that with CoolerMaster's hit & miss (mostly miss!) history in the PSU space, I'd look to it next, if the driver removal/update doesn't fix things for you.

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
Could be the power supply.

What CPU do you have?
Streaming also puts stress on the CPU (assuming you're encoding with the CPU). In which case, the CPU power draw also increases.

Jul 26, 2018
My full system specs are as follows:
GTX 1070 Inno3D iChill x4
Ryzen 5 1600X
8GB DDR4 RAM
A320M PRO-VD PLUS
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 120
5K RPM HDD
256GB SSD
2 x 120mm fans
Coolermaster masterwatt 600

I have already removed the old AMD drivers yes. Are we sure the clock speeds its trying to run it at are do-able?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You haven't mentioned overclocking, so assuming you're running stock?

If so, yes - the card should be capable of running it's stock/factory clocks. If not, there's a problem with the card.

Ruling out driver issues then, I'd look to the PSU next. As I said, not too many reviews on it, but it's a pretty budget unit.
Do you have access to another system (or just another, quality PSU)?

Solution